WX0B DQ ?

KB5YVT at aol.com KB5YVT at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 00:23:15 EDT 1995

Checking out the SS results and see that WX0B's nice score was DQ'ed.  Just
wondered why if anyone knows??

Mike
kb5yvt at aol.com

From: John Pescatore <jpescato at CapAccess.org> (John Pescatore)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 23:50:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Antenna & Tower Recommendations

On Sun, 16 Apr 1995 markg at iserver.starlight.com wrote:

>   I have been reading for some time posting on this reflector concerning
>   contests, antennas, and station configuration and know this is a very
>   well informed group.  In an effort to work more than the top ten
>   stations in a contest and do some DXing in this low sun spot period
>   (work BS7H? I never even heard BS7H) I have made plans (translation:
>   finally gotten the wifes approval) to put up a tower on our small lot
>   (i.e. very difficult to put up any type of wire antenna even on 40M).
>

>   I have put together a configuration based on performance,
>   survivablility, serviceability, and neighborhood friendlyness (i.e.
>   lowest height when cranked down). Since I will have to live with
>   whatever I decide to do I would very much appreciate any comparsions,
>   feedback, experience, or suggestions on the following:
>
>   Tower: Tri-Ex LM-470 or US Tower HDX-572  @65' (local limit)
>   (comparsions?)
>
>   At 65': Force-12 Magnum 520/240 (5 element 20M, 2 element 40M)
>
>   At 50' (using TIC ring rotor): Force-12 4BA  or DX Engineering LP17
>       (for 10,12,15,17) (comparsions?)
>
>   Would there be any big advantage to putting a 5-band ant. at 50' such
>   as a 5BA or LP20 to get another 20M choice or would I just get
>   destructive interference?
>
>   Please send responses directly so as not to clutter the reflector. If
>   enough interest I will post the results. Thanks and maybe you'll even
>   be able to hear me in the next contest.
>
>   73's,
>   Mark  AB6WD
>   markg at starlight.com

I don't think putting a second antenna lower down would add
significantly to it, but will clutter it up some, mostly
mechanically, for you.  If the lower antenna is a mate to the
higher one and if you have sufficient stacking distance
(like 3/4 wavelength) then it might be worthwhile.
Otherwise, the biggest yagis for 40/20/15/10 at the top
would probably work well -- that is the biggest yagis you
can.

Also, there are 72' and 90' crankups.  Just don't crank
them up higher than 65' when people are scrutinizing you.
Most of the time it'll probably be cranked down all the way
anyway, right?  How many of your neighbors will know the
difference between 65' and 72' or 90'?  And a lot of the
time you're contesting or DXing it's dark anyway.  hi.

(Rich Boyd KE3Q)