WPX info

force12 at ibm.net force12 at ibm.net
Sun Apr 23 21:50:16 EDT 1995

Can someone please tell me the address for the
WPX logs ?  Also, can I send a disk instead of
the printed page?

73s

Natan W6XR/2 -- FORCE12 at IBM.NET

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr at k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 20:41:06 EDT
Subject: Guying Towers On Rocky Terrain

On Fri, 21 Apr 95 16:19:11 EDT, Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL wrote:
> Has anyone had experience installing guy anchors in rock?
K1VR:  Some years ago, K1GQ wrote a short article in the
YCCC Scuttlebutt on this topic, reflecting his experience.
As I recall, he used a hammer drill to create the hole, and
an epoxy construction cement.  He did NOT go down very far,
commenting that one need only go down far enough to be
confident that the epoxy cement would hold.  I think he went
down 12-24 inches.  After it was done, I think he held the
view that his tower will fall over if New Hampshire is
pulled out of New England, as it is not known as The Granite
State for nothing!

You might query W2UP, who has something of a professional
interest in these matters.

Good luck.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
                   internet:  k1vr at k1vr.jjm.com
"Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low."

From: Michael Owen <MOWE at SLUMUS.STLAWU.EDU> (Michael Owen)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 07:25:29 EST
Subject: Re[2]: Guying Towers On Rocky Terrain

>As I recall, he used a hammer drill to create the hole, and
>an epoxy construction cement.  He did NOT go down very far,
>commenting that one need only go down far enough to be
>confident that the epoxy cement would hold.  I think he went
>down 12-24 inches.  After it was done, I think he held the
>view that his tower will fall over if New Hampshire is
>pulled out of New England, as it is not known as The Granite
>State for nothing!

Please note: a LOT depends on the type of rock into which you're
anchoring.  I shale (Walt's situation) you must go quite a bit
deeper than in granite.

W9IP

Michael R. Owen
MOWE at SLUMUS.StLAWU.edu

From: gclark at cel.cummins.com (Clark) (Clark)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 08:41:44 EST
Subject: SquINT Contest Certificates

To All SquINT Kids Contest Participants:

For those who participated in the latest SquINT Contest on April 15th,
certificates will be available for $3 per certificate.  If you would
like a certificate for your 2nd op, please send $3 to the below address
by MAY 12, 1995.  I hope that this will allow those who requested
certificates to have them by the first of JUNE.

The second running of the SquINT was a great success with 57 kids in
various logs!

73/Greg
KO9Y

Send $3 for certificates to:
Greg Clark
4280 W. Whiteland Rd.
Bargersville, IN. 46106

From: jholly at hposl62.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback) (Jim Hollenback)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 07:35:50 -0700
Subject: WPX Contest rules

On Apr 21,  6:27pm, Sean E. Kutzko wrote:
> Subject: WPX Contest rules
>

> 1) The premise is to work international QSO's. Therefore, it seems
> reasonable to not allow points for a QSO within your own country.
> Remember, everybody else has the same problem; we have more hams than,
> say, France, but that's wherethe same continent/differect country rule
> comes in.

and if conditions are cruddy, you don't have much of a contest.

> 2) Realize also that JA has the same "problem" USA folks do...lots of hams,
> quite a few prefixes.

and if conditions are cruddy, they don't have much of a contest.

> I think this is a very long-winded way of saying that the situation is
> not unique to the US.

agreed.

> I agree that some general restructuring is in order, and I freely admit to
> not having the answers, but I don't think 1 point for EVERY QSO is the
> answer.

agreed. In the RTTY WPX contest, different continent is 3 points, same
continent is 2 points and same country is 1 point. Note that there is
no special arrangement for NA, i.e., Europe can work Europe for two
points and Japan can work Asia for two points. You still have plenty
of incentive to work DX, but also get credit for working your own
country.

Jim, WA6SDM
jholly at cup.hp.com