Best Antenna Switch

N1MM at aol.com N1MM at aol.com
Tue Aug 8 09:42:56 EDT 1995

I did not get very different results from the last
go-round on this topic, so I'll just include
the last summary, plus W3ZZ's surplus-
conversion ideas afterward.  Thanks
to all that sent me
comments and to KA9FOX for sending
me the summary from the last time.

>Subj:  Remote antenna switches
>Date:  Tue, May 23, 1995 4:57 PM CDT
>From:  n4zr at netcom.com
>Sender: owner-cq-contest at tgv.com
>To: cq-contest at tgv.com

>received about 20 comments.  The most surprising thing about them is that
>VERY few people had problems with their antenna switches, and all of them
>were generally satisfied with the ones they had chosen.  To the extent
>there were negatives, they had to do with deficiencies in design "seen
>from afar."  Generally, where people were using a given unit, they
>acknowledged the shortcomings but had successfully worked around them and
>felt that the units worked well regardless.

>The largest number were using the Ameritron RCS-8V.  They acknowledged the
>relatively poor quality enclosures, but reported long trouble-free
>service.  Several people were using the RCS-4, which does not require a
>control cable - the clear low-cost winner overall.

>Next was DX Engineering -- high marks on both electrical and mechanical
>construction, but acknowledged to be a little more expensive than the
>Ameritrons.

>A number of people praised Top Ten Devices, particularly for their
>flexibility, while noting the need for a weatherproof enclosure because
>the relay boxes are designed for indoor use.  They also got loud applause
>for their customer service.

>Two liked the switches from Antenna Mart of Iowa.

>And finally, a couple of different solutions -- one urged the use of
>something called a "globe" - a multi-position motorized coax switch,
>available surplus-- while two encouraged me to build my own.

>So that's the story - I hope you find it useful.

>73, Pete
>N4ZR at netcom.com
>"Better, faster,cheaper -- choose any two"
>"No no no -- it's WEST Virginia"

And from W3ZZ:

>Tom

>I feel for you because I got hit about a month ago and still my FT990
>(which was plugged in but not connected to anything) is not working right
>yet.

>IMO the best antenna switch is a multiposition motor driven surplus
>switch usualy made by Transco, TRW or the like.  They often are called
>"globes" because of their shape.  Usually a cylinder (containing the
>motor) with the connectors (usually N's) at one end and a military type
>connector to take power.  You need to make a 28v (or so) power supply
>with a switch to apply voltage to the right port to make the motor step
>but this is not difficult to do.  These switches should handle any
>reasonable amateur power at HF, are essentially lossless (they work some
>of them to several GHz) and very rugged.  I have left them outside in the
>weather and that is o.k. but I would rather put them in some kind of
>enclosure.  These switches are surplus and readily available at any flea
>market almost always for less than $50 and sometimes half that.  They
>have anywhere from 2 to 8 ports.

>If you don't have a 28v supply (at about 1-2 amps peak to start the
>motor), you can get 23v from an Astron 13.8v supply by tapping off the
>unregulated DC output at the filter before it goes into the regulator.
>These relays will turn readily at less than 20v.

>This is an alternative to an expensive ham type remote switch.  Those are
>fine but cost plenty of dough.

>Good luck es 73

>Gene  W3ZZ
>Who is about to install one of these switches to go between a 1296 loop
>yagi and a triband feed dish at 2.3, 3.4 and 5.6 GHz

Thanks again to all who sent me info

73, Tom -- N1MM

From: Cain, Jim,  K1TN" <jcain at arrl.org (Cain, Jim,  K1TN)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 95 08:52:00 EDT
Subject: K1TN NAQP CW

Figured I'd better hook up the TS-850 somebody loaned
to me and see what all those little tiny buttons and knobs
do. First time on the radio since December 2, 1994
(you don't want to know). Ancient 8088 laptop somewhat
recalcitrant, its A drive taking a couple of hours
to decide to let me load NA onto the massive 20-meg
hard disk. Nice to hear a few familiar calls. Sorry I
was so slow to change bands--balanced feed and
a Johnson Matchbox don't lend themselves to '90s
contesting! See you in the next contest unless
something more interesting to do comes along.

Worked Laurie!

Jim  Cain, K1TN

      band        qsos       points     mults

      160            0           0         0