BC Hash on 20M, Poor dynamic range?

K2WK at aol.com K2WK at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 17:13:39 EDT 1995

Howdy.

Recently, I've been getting an S-8 hash on 20M. In an attempt to find the
source of this interference I found a very loud Radio Quebec on 13.670.  The
hash seems to follow the modulation of the BC station.  This station is so
loud that it pins the meter on both an FT-1000 and IC-765; a first for the
FT.  The hash appears on both rigs when this station is on the air.  I guess
this phenomena is due to poor(?) dynamic range? Turning off the preamp
 and/or adding some attenuation helps the matter.  But, how am I going to
copy those 2nd tier Eu stations during a contest with the attennuator on?
 Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done to rectify the
situation.  Would an ICE filter help on these "close-in" stations?  Regards,
de Walt - K2WK