Computer and RFI

John A. Ross, IV wb2k at
Wed Aug 16 08:50:58 EDT 1995

>On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Peter Jennings wrote:
>> Put snap-on ferrites on the keyboard cable where it enters the
>> computer. That has been the most common problem I have had with
>> RFI and computers here. It can almost always be solved with ferrites.
>> The keyboard and cable make a nice antenna.
>I somehow got knocked off the reflector while on vacation and missed any
>thread that might have followed this...  Anyway, this describes my
>problem to a tee and I'd like to know where I can find a few of these
>snap-on ferrite beads?  I have three networked computers in the shack all
>of which are getting RF generated key strokes.
>               Tnx             73,             Bob, N4BP

Hi Bob,

Using ferrites is pretty much the only answer. They can be found at Radio
Shack and most hamfests. Mail order source is Amidon (see QST/CQ).
If that doesn't fix it, replace the keyboard. They're only about $20
nowadays. Most places will let you return them if they don't work out.
73, John - WB2K

John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2TJA [Zone 2]  (wb2k at
Summit, New Jersey
Contest DXpedition Registry --------->

More information about the CQ-Contest mailing list