Modeling and reality

george fremin iii geoiii at bga.com
Thu Aug 24 13:55:01 EDT 1995

: > What happened in 1988?  We moved the repaired Telrex to the top of a 190'
: > foot tower.  Wow! Awesome!  Gordon's "Siberian Express" gave new meaning to
: > 20M in Texas.  Trey (KKN) did some single op CW tests and mentioned it was
: > THE antenna to use whenever possible.  Short or long haul, it was always
: > better!!  Must be all the lobes.
: And on paths that traditionally seem like high-angle paths, like West
: Africa at 2200Z on 20.  Giant pileup for J52US (non-contest), so we
: point every beam at him and do a side-by-side-by-side comparison.  We
: can't crack the pileup with any antenna but the high one, which gets
: through on the first call.

And to add fuel to the fire -- I was suprised to find it to
be the best antenna for the W6/7s in ss. I built switch boxes
that allowed us to run *any* two antennas on each of the top
bands. In SS I would point the 4 ele quad @ 80' to the east
coast and the 100' 5ele, 200' 5ele, 70' 204 all at the
west coast - it was amazing how much of the time
the 200' antenna as the best.

Oh - and KM9P is right on 15m - a yagi at 175 feet or so is
a great joy - we had one of those too.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.