What is your main radio?

aa2du at netcom.com aa2du at netcom.com
Fri Aug 25 12:19:33 EDT 1995

Hi Larry:

I use an FT-1000D/87A for my main station

J.P. AA2DU

J.P. Kleinhaus, AA2DU  ARRL CAC hudson Div. Rep.
E-mail:              aa2du at netcom.com
Compu$erve:  74660,2606

It's not a bug...It's a feature!

From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil at seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 08:50:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: sign of things to come?

On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, David Robbins KY1H wrote:

> from toec rules:
>
> >Keep the following frequencies free from contest traffic: CW 3500-3510,
> >7000-7010, 14000-14010,
> >21000-21010, 28000-28010 SSB 3600-3650, 3790-3800, 7040-7045, 14100-14125,
> >21100-21175, 28200-28300

Right...pick what are probably the MOST sought-after contesting
frequencies to exclude.  About as much chance of success as standing in
the middle of the interstate/autobahn and trying to stop traffic!  Splat!

I'm not philosophically opposed to contest-free segments, but they would
have to be realistic.  As it has been pointed out, during CW contests, the
entire SSB band is pretty much contest-free, and vice versa.  The WARC
bands are ALWAYS contest free, both modes.  They have been around for over
10 years now, so people should have figured out how to use them.

One of the Amateur Service's great strengths - the ability to be flexible
and use the frequency agility uniquely ours - should be used as a defense
against Balkanizing the ham bands anymore than they already are.

Instead of putting up ineffective barriers, TOEC should be EDUCATING
non-contesters (and contesters, too, for that matter) about being
flexible, making use of WARC frequencies, having backup frequencies for
schedules, looking at the published activity calendars, etc.  From what I
hear on the air, there is plenty of space, it's just the will to find it
and use it that's lacking.

73, Ward N0AX