CQ WW, The Internet and Packet?

K2WK at aol.com K2WK at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 21:28:20 EDT 1995

In a message dated 95-08-29 21:05:05 EDT, je1cka at dumpty.nal.go.jp (Takao
JE1CKA, KUMAGAI) writes:
> The use of non-amateur means such as telephones, telegrams,
> etc., to elicit contacts or multipliers during a contest is
> unsportsmanlike and the entry is subject to disqualification.

I see, Tack. The operative word here is DURING a contest.  I'm off
the hook, as I post a contest activity reminder message BEFORE a contest
or I put out spots of others when I'm NOT IN the contest.

However, I'm a bit puzzled about how to interpret the rules vis the
connection
to England, in real time, when one or more of the inter-nodal links are via
commercial communications carriers.  Does the rule apply here?
I want to hear this from the draftees of the rules, or anyone who knows for
certain
how to interpret them.  I guess what I'm asking is:  Is using LONNY illegal,
but using HF packet OK? Assuming of course one enters in a category that
allows using spotting nets, or packet cluster.

                                               73 de Walt - K2WK