ARRL 160 WT1O Low Power

bmelvin at benthos.com bmelvin at benthos.com
Wed Dec 6 14:29:30 EST 1995

160 Contest - WT1O - EMA Section - Low Power

QSO's: 346
Points: 737
Sections: 53
DX: 11
Score: 47, 168

N4KG Vertical - 3 raised radials @ 5' on 95' Tower
TenTec Omni D

Put out the radials on Wednesday for the contest.  Very impressed by
the ease of working CQ'ing Europeans even with low power.  Tried
calling CQ at European sunrise but no DX responses.  High static crash
levels made for a lot of repeats on calls when CQing.  Quit on Saturday
nite after twice trying to work Europeans who were repeating their
calls over and over only to discover they were answering the deaf ears
of high power CQ's from the midwest. One even tried to work me!
Question is, how do I get their attention running low power when they
are easily attracted to the high power stations out west who even with
a beverage can't always hear them?

73's Bob WT1O