Oregon CONTEST Stn takes a lickin'...

John D. Nicholson jnichols at ednet1.osl.or.gov
Wed Dec 13 12:08:21 EST 1995

...but still keeps tickin' ! Watching the ol' quad jerk around in
100 mph was entertaining yesterday. I took the day off from
work to monitor 2 meters and be of help around the neighborhood
as carports and roofs blew off, not too mention numerous doug
firs laying across roads, cars and houses up and down the
coast...

...my 60' Aluma tower was nested to 30' and guyed 7 ways with
770# dacron black rope...Cubex 3 el quad on 20' foot boom was
unharmed except for the fact the boom started to twist a little
where it was U-bolted to the mast...no big prob. All fiberglass
and wire elements withstood a major blow...107+ mphs! I will
admit a couple of times as I watched it dance, I couldn't
believe it didn't break something as it bounced around in the
heaviest gusts...

...power at this QTH won't be back for at least 3 days
according the the latest reports...

73s...John K7FD
Seal Rock, Oregon