Score: ARRL DX Contest CW

MMOULDING at delphi.com MMOULDING at delphi.com
Mon Feb 20 00:18:35 EST 1995

           MULTS  -  105
                   ------
         SCORE - 138,285

POWER : Less than 100 watts.
Station: TS440S; TS820S
   TH3jr on 10-15-20
   Inv Vees on 40-80
   Half of 80 vee on 160

I always enjoy this contest, and this year was no exception!
Thought the participation was down.  Could of been my Propagation or lack of.

mmoulding at delphi.com

From: Jirasak Visalsawat <syam at Glue.umd.edu> (Jirasak Visalsawat)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 01:58:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: ARRL CW DX CONTEST - K3ZO SCORE & COMMENTS

Here is the corrected total for  K3ZO in the ARRL CW DX Contest:

        BAND        QSO      MULT

         160         40        25
          80        256        64
          40        609        81
          20        925        89
          15        745        84
          10         42        22

                   2617(x3) x 365  =  2,865,615  FINAL SCORE

(HAD TO ELIMINATE ABOUT 15 W/VE's and UA0ZDA/MM from final log).

I do not log dupes but the dupe champ must have been EA3DKR who
called me about five times on each band.

Conditions were about as good as could be expected for a low sunspot
year, with only 10 meters really showing where the sunspots are.
Only one minor equipment problem (the computer had been moved since
the last contest and I forgot to re-attach the ground bus when I
moved it back, so when my 160 meter transmissions began to scramble
some log entries I had to call a brief halt in order to re-attach
the ground to the computer).

This was my first contest since my new secret weapon was put into
service -- my old R4C with all the mods added by KO7V, and
realigned by my Chief Engineer N6CZG (whose name is the one that
appears on this Internet account's address).  Those of you who
know me know that I don't use any extra filters in  my TS-830-S
beyond those that came with it originally.  I don't like filter
ringing and believe it adds to mental fatigue during a contest.
The R4C mods enable me to operate with quite a narrow bandwidth
and still maintain the "natural" receiver sound.  I used it
during almost all my runs on 80, 40 and 20 and was very pleased
with how loud signals on nearby frequencies hardly bothered me
at all while I was trying to pull through the weak ones.
However, I did not use the R4C on 10 or 15 because the TS-830-S
seemed quite a bit "hotter" on those two bands than the Drake.
Maybe the added hardware in the Drake has added some insertion
loss as well.

Anyhow, my score is up about 500 K over last year's so no
complaints.  The power company seems to have cleared up the line
noise around this neighborhood considerably so even though it
was a dry weekend the bands were nice and quiet.  Ditto the lack
of thunderstorm QRN on 80 and 160 - really a pleasure to operate
those bands this year.  Things were interesting enough so that I
only needed one hour's sleep the first night and two hours the
second night.  The XYL served one cup of strong Colombian coffee
each morning at about 10 AM, and that was all I needed to keep
going.  Really stimulating conditions this time!

First hour rate = 122 (40 meters)
Best hour rate = 134 (1400 hour first day on 15 meters).

Those of your who worked A92Q, that is Admiral Scotty
Redd, USN, K0DQ, who now commands our naval forces in
the Persian Gulf/Arabian Gulf area.  He used to turn
in top-ten performances regularly in the CW DX tests
from the station of W3GRF.

Bring on the phone weekend, and tell the propagation
gods not to change a thing!

                                73, Fred Laun, K3ZO