ARRL DX Exchange

Jastaples at aol.com Jastaples at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 12:30:23 EST 1995

I've read a number of comments concerning the "exchange" in the recent ARRL
DX CW contest. As yet I haven't seen any direct reference to the "Rules".
Item 6(B) clearly states that the DX stations
send "... power (3-digit number...)". The "accepted practice" of sending KW
or just K clearly does not adhere to this rule. Does that mean that many of
the big contest operations were not sending valid exchanges and hence should
have their scores adjusted to reflect this?

Again it is commonly accepted practice to allow the use of the characters A,
N, T to represent "digits" perhaps skirting the edge of
"strict adherence to the Rules".

Along with this I see comments to the effect that "copying numeric exchanges"
accurately are one of the marks of the superior operator. Where does this
apply in copying nnk?

But then I for one wouldn't change anything... it's all part of what little
remains of the mystic of amateur radio.

de Joe, W5ASP