SSTV vs FD Congradulations!

Robert Barron barron at liant.com
Mon Jun 26 10:22:55 EDT 1995

Jim (WA4ZXA) wrote:

> I also hear them make the comment this weekend that you could blame the
> ARRL for what happened this weekend with the contest.

Last night I heard on the Amateur Radio Newsline that someone has
donated a complete SSTV station to W1AW.  So perhaps the SSTV'ers will
be a little less anti-League.

I think the majority of the situations about SSTV interference
described on the reflector are clearly a cause for concern.  I
think that's it's important to realize that there are some
situations where it seems like intentional SSTV interference,
when it's really not.

Not long ago I started a run frequency near 14.350 after asking
several times if the frequency was in use.  After working one
or two stations one of the SSTV guys came up as though in mid-
conversation.  At first I was a little upset until I realize
what had happened.  I could not hear the station sending the
SSTV so I thought the frequency was clear.  The station receiving
the SSTV could not reply to my query about the frequency since
his radio setup was busy receiving the photo.

There are probably technical reasons why SSTV'ers guard "their"
frequencies so zealously.  Since SSTV is interference prone (no
error correcting) they feel they need a sanctuary of their own.
It seems the answer is to use some other method to exchange their
photos.  Some packet/Clover technique would be less intrusive to
other users and more reliable for their activities,  IMHO.

No,  I have never operated SSTV in my life but I thought with so
much said about the bad SSTV ops that an explaination why some
SSTV interference takes place might be in order.

73,

Robert Barron, KA5WSS                 barron at liant.com
Liant Software Corporation            Hook 'Em Horns!