95 WPX CW CONTEST

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Tue May 30 09:46:58 EDT 1995

I really had a great time in my first cw contest.  Between the
holiday company and barbecueing, I couldn't spend much time on
the air but did enjoy myself.

It didn't take long to discover that I was woefully unprepared
for the speed y'all were sending the exchanges with.  How do you
learn or what do you use to be able to copy code that fast?  As
best I could tell, most were sending at 27+ wpm.  I really had
to struggle to get the serial #'s right because I knew I was
only going to hear them once.  Now I wish I would have had to
pass 30 wpm for extra!

Thanks and can't wait for the next one. Maybe I'll do better,

73  KC5DVT   Wayne     email...ehayes at vnet.ibm.com
Austin, Texas

>From n2ic at drmail.dr.att.com (LondonSM)  Tue May 30 14:55:14 1995
From: n2ic at drmail.dr.att.com (LondonSM) (LondonSM)
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 07:55:14 -0600
Subject: KJ1N WPX M/S Score

Black Hole whining begins here......

                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1995

      Call: KJ1N                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      QTH: Colorado
      Operators: KJ1N, N2IC, K0KR, AA0NC

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80       31       74   2.4        4
       40      442     1610   3.6      118
       20     1304     1894   1.5      566
       15      134      137   1.0       26
       10        9       14   1.6        3
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1920     3729   1.9      717  =   2,673,693

Antennas:

  Stacked KT-34XA's @ 65', 115'
  3 el KLM 40 @ 120'
  80 meter dipole @ 115'

How do you make so many QSO's, with so many multipliers, for so few points, you
ask .....

                              Continent Statistics
     KJ1N   CQ WPX CONTEST    Multi Single     28 May 1995  1659z

                     160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent

North America   CW     0   22  194  733   99    5 1053    54.6
South America   CW     0    0   12   23   29    4   68     3.5
Europe          CW     0    0   34  326    1    0  361    18.7
Asia            CW     0    8  166  194    0    0  368    19.1
Africa          CW     0    0    3    2    3    0    8     0.4
Oceania         CW     0    1   38   30    2    0   71     3.7

Comments on the above numbers:
1) Very few of those 1053 North American QSO's were VE's !
2) No, we didn't do anything stupid, like go out of our way to work W's, unless
they were a new multiplier.
3) What were we suppose to do, ignore all those AC4's and AA8's that answered
our CQ's ?

A real black hole weekend for us.  Just kept pretending that this was really
Field Day, and working W's was a good thing ! Very few memorable QSO's or band
openings.  Only 150 JA's on 40 meters, despite 7-8 hours of good propagation.
Where have all the JA's gone ?  Couldn't hear even a whisper of many of the EU
that the east coast was working on 20 meters on Sunday.  1430Z-1700Z Sunday -
no DX on any band !

Missed 1.5 hours on Friday evening (0300Z-0430Z) due to thunderstorms.  So much
for the over-the-pole opening !

Steve London, N2IC/0
n2ic at dr.att.com