wpx KL7RA angles

Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory kl7ra at icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov
Tue May 30 11:56:14 EDT 1995

KL7RA ALASKA  WPX CW 1995
s/o s/b 20 meters high power
Score  2,233,750   1439 q's x 625 pfx's
Icom 781  3-1000  5/4 @ 150ft/77ft

Twenty was OKay for a change from the far north. I did well
considering the sun spot cycle. I wish we could move this test to
the end of April now that Dayton has shifted to May. After a hard
winter it's just too beautiful here in Alaska to sit in front of
radios this time of year.

The 20 meter band was busy with s-3 to s-7 signals 24 hours a day.
I had very poor rate most of the time often only 20 or 30 an hour.
We had a few good openings to each area where the signals were
"loud" and the rate would shoot up. Also had many hours of working
two areas at the same time. My log shows an intermix of US/Ja or
other combinations Eur/US, Eur/Ja etc.

The conditions were such that a two antenna stack with upper lower
both switching was indispensable. Although the high antenna was
never better then the stack it was valuable to point towards the
second area coming in. At very slow rates its nice to spray two
areas and work "twice" as many even at 30 an hour. If the signal
was weak I would switch to just that antenna to get their call.
Also pointing north (Europe) was often a noisy path and I heard
better on the lower antenna even though the signals dropped when
switching from the stack.

This contest I was able to prove something that has come up over
and over here on 20 and sometimes on 15. We run rate working loud
US stations until the sun moves to the west of us and Japan starts
calling and the US starts getting weak. In the past we would wait
for a time (like 3 Ja's in a row) then move the top beam to Japan.
But what happens is the US rate jumps way up so you move the top
beam back and (you guessed it) the rate drops and Ja's start
calling again. This contest I waited for the "event" and instead of
moving the top antenna I switched to lower antenna only. The Ja's
stopped calling but the US rate leaped up. The angle was wrong
using the stack to the US, but when I switch to high angle (low
antenna) I was loud now to the west coast which is where the rate
was coming from.

I also have a layer of Europe that calls that are very weak. The
normal Europe contest stations are loud but these guys are s-0 and
will call you after every CQ. I always feel sorry for them because
its really hard to get their calls and they never seem to lose
hope. I think this is the layer East coast must work all night. The
low antenna was always weaker to this layer then the stack.

This posting got a little long but I thought it might be
interesting to those of you thinking that it wasn't necessary to be
able to switch two antenna stacks during this part of the cycle.

Rich KL7RA IN ALASKA (I have to say that because most kl7's aren't)