CONTEST-"Band"ADE

KC8FS at aol.com KC8FS at aol.com
Thu Nov 23 19:05:58 EST 1995

We have been amused and entertained by the recent thread of suggestions and
recipes for contest nutrition.  We have been granted insight into these
culinary stamina builders that are being incorporated into the diets of Joe
Contestor --both before and during battle.  Actually, there are some
excellent suggestions here and I think most are useful.  Switching gears--I
want to pass on an idea that I tried during Phone CQWW.  It isn't dealing
with nutrition and diet but offers something along the lines of physical
comfort.  I hope I am not re-plowing old ground here.  You see, I am plagued
with a deviated septum.  Actually, I have enlarged turbinatesin my left
nostril.  Surgery 12 years ago was not much help.  A couple months ago, my
XYL bought me a box of Breath Right nasal strips to wear when we went for our
evening walk.  They did help my breathing tremendously.  I also wear them at
night (Actually not every night ;-). These are the band-aid looking
doo-hickies that you see football players wear on their noses. No- I don't
work for the company that makes them, nor do I have any connection with them
monetarily. There are millions of people who have this breathing problem and
most don't even realize it!!  If you have this problem and exert yourself or,
 talk fast and alot (AS IN A CONTEST!!), you have a tendency to breathe thru
your mouth.  This can cause air to enter your stomach and give you gas and
the discomfort associated with it.  I tried the Breathe Right strip during
the recent SSB CQWW (I didn't do the SS hard enuff to need it) and found it
to be quite beneficial!  My breathing was unrestricted and I didn't
experience the stomach gas problem that I normally get during times when I am
"swallowing" air.  I highly recommend them to anyone who has this
problem--contesting or otherwise.  Besides, they add a nice touch to the
spirit of the Contest--since we don't get to wear helmets or shoulder pads.
73, Hal    KC8FullaStuffing
                                              "When you win--nothing hurts."

                                                                        --Joe
Namath