TEN TEC OMNI FILTERS. SPECIAL LOW NOTE DESIGN

Ron Stone ron at gw3ydx.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 24 18:14:38 EST 1995

-----
| Ron Stone, GW3YDX -    EMail ron at gw3ydx.demon.co.uk

-----
Gentlemen

Please see the messages below. It is now nearing time for "final
calls" for this one.

Sent in September

Subject - TEN TEC SPECIAL FILTERS

You will recollect that I sent out a bulletin enquiring if there
would be any interest in custom filters for the Ten Tec OMNI V
and OMNI VI transceivers. You were one of the people that replied.
There was a lot of interest and I have since
contacted the people who make filters for Ten Tec.

They are willing to produce filters but of course the more they
produce the cheaper they are to the end user. For every filter they
design there is also a non recurring engineering charge irrespective
of how many they make. This charge is normally 395 dollars US. We are
being given special treatment in this case and as hams this charge
will only be 195 dollars US.

The filters in question are a) A 400 Hz bandwidth CW filter
centered on 400 Hz audio note for those of us hunting DX and
who like a lower note than the Ten Tec 750 Hz note filter (NAR posn)
and a HiFi SSB filter with a 2700 -6dB bandwidth for TX and RX.

The non recurring engineering charge has to be applied to the
filters being made. I have had to guess how many filters may be wanted
and that leads to the following schedule.

     UNIT PRICE     9.0 MHz filter for CW   6.3 MHz Filter for SSB

 QTY    10-19              $ 144.50                 $ 149.50
        20-29              $ 129.50                 $ 134.50

If we buy filters in the quantity Ten Tec buys (thousands) then we
get down somewhere near the Ten Tec prices. For instance if over
100 were bought they would get to below 100 dollars.

If you would like one of the above filters please contact me to advise
you are prepared to pay up to $144.50 per filter (CW) and $149.50 per
filter (SSB). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REQUEST BOTH and they are priced
above separately. Sorry there is no saving to buying both filters !!!

Specifications of the filters follows

PARAMETER		6.3 MHZ SSB		9.0 mhZ CW

Center freq		6.29950 MHz		9.000400 MHz
Poles				8			8
6 dB BW			2700 Hz min		400 Hz min
60 dB BW		5500 Hz Max		1000 Hz max
Ripple			1 dB Max		1 dB Max
Ultimate attenuation	90 dB Min 		90 dB Min
Insertion loss		2.5 Db Max		12 dB Max
Source and load		200 ohms +/- 10%	200 ohms + /- 10%
Package 		As TT filters		As TT filters
			( plug in on appropriate circuit card)

I can't offer you a definite price yet. That depends on take-up by
those
who expressed an interest but have yet to reach into their pockets.
If more than 20 people go ahead then you all get the filters at the
lower price. I doubt if there will be that level of demand though and
my guess is that I'll end up with a dozen or so serious people for the
CW filter. Only two people asked about SSB. Out of interest the cost
for two filters is $275 each, because of the swingeing effect of the
$ 195 non recurring engineering charge. One filter (if you are really
keen) will cost a cool $373 ! I for one would be unhappy to pay more
than $150 for a filter. So I did not list the smaller quantities
resulting in a greater price.

I am not doing this commercially so cannot afford to lose on it. If
you
wish to go ahead (once the numbers of serious people are established)
it will be a case of cash up front to me. As there is no profit margin
in this I cannot afford to have people change their minds or drop out.

DO NOT SEND ANY CASH NOW !!!!!! Two reasons

1) I am not yet sure that demand is sufficient even for the 10 filter
price.

2) If most of the orders originate from the US it will be best for me
to ask funds to be addressed to a "banker" in the US. I'll deal with
the EU payments.

If any of you know other people with OMNI's who may be interested in
participating in this opportunity to acquire custom filters please
point them in my direction

To contact me (aside from Email)

Phone +44 1691 831111
Fax   +44 1691 831386

Address
The Vine
Llandrinio
POWYS
SY22 6SH

PS If anyone thinks this is a commercial advert and should not be on
the reflector, I AM DOING THIS FOR NOTHING, in fact these things
(I've done them before) usually leave me out of pocket.

PPS If you want an official Network Analyser plot of the passband
and stopband of the filters ADD $13 (10--19 filters) or $ 11.30
(20 - 29 filters). This assumes everyone wants a plot. Single plots
will be dearer. Personally a pretty plot is something I can live
without !

PPPS I intend to close the enquiries file on 25 December. I clearly
cant leave it open for ever.

73
Ron

SENT Today 24 November

Gentlemen

We now have ten people interested in the special CW filters (400 Hz
bandwidth for 400 Hz center tone . Only one
in the SSB one, so I guess it goes no further.

Will you please confirm your continuing interest at the price of
$ US 144.50, plus shipping. For you guys in the US - please suggest
the cheapest secure way of delivery. We do not have US UPS rates over
here of course.

Once you have confirmed your interest and I have an idea of shipping
(cant be more than 10 dollars surely) I'll ask you to forward the
dough
to an attorney friend of mine in Washington DC, who will act as a
collection point for the funds. If the filter manufacturer will ship
the filters direct to end users thats what I will have him do -
otherwise they get transshipped via DC.

Delay on building the filters is about 6 weeks. Only when I have all
the funds in will I go ahead with the bulk order. If anyone decides
not
to go ahead at this time I will have to cry on the filter makers
shoulder and request less than 10 at the 10 price. He may not accept
this and selling it will be really hard if more than one of you drop
out of the arrangement.

If you know of anyone else who is considering coming in on this - do
please advise them that single special filters will be going on for
$ 375.

Please confirm by Email and watch this space !

73

Ron

This is nearly the last call........