AE6Y CQP score

AE6Y at aol.com AE6Y at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 20:45:26 EDT 1995

This year was a bit frustrating, going low power and with condx definitely
worse than last year. But, there was lots of participation...Thanks
particularly to all those non-Californians who helped out in a big way.
   AE6Y, single-op, Low Power:
     1215 q's (603 cw) times 57 mults = 172,881 pts.
   First year since 1991 that I didn't get a sweep (never heard HI).  My
950SDX when west just before the contest, but KT6J kindly loaned me his 940,
which worked fb.  Only problem is that it had no elec keyer, so I ended up
using my old circa 1957 Vibroplex as a hand key!  Hadn't used it in many
years, and was very shaky with it --I tried to do whatever I could with the
computer to avoid embarrassment, hi.
    My homebrew dvk worked great, and used it to send calls and exchanges
whenver possible. There was a slight problem in that the recordings were a
bit bassy.  In the 950 I could have cut most of that out with the hi pass
transmit filter, but not in the 940.  Unfortunately I had done all the wav
file recordings using crummy labtec computer speakers that have very little
bass response, so I thought the tone quality was just right!  I may try
hooking up the HEIL headset mike to the computer to make the recordings to
get the benefit of the communications tone profile.
   Anyway, lots of fun as usual -- thanks again to all who participated.