Nunavut 1999 (VE8)

ve2zp at bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org ve2zp at bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org
Tue Oct 17 10:22:04 EDT 1995

Northwest Territories, I can inform you of this much:

Nunavut will not be a province.  It will be Canada's third territory, on par
with the Yukon and what will remain of the old NWT.  Nunavut's population will
be quite small, perhaps 20,000 people.

Right now, there seems to be some reluctance to accept the Yukon and the NWT as
separate sections in the ARRL SS, as "clean sweeps" are hard enough to achieve
as it is.  Adding Nunavut will do nothing to increase the ham population of the
area, so my guess is that there will still be reluctance to admit Nunavut as a
new section for the SS.  However, I'm fairly certain that Nunavut would be
added as a multiplier in the ARRL DX and 10m contests, but that's up to ARRL to
decide.

When Nunavut is created as a separate territory, it will be added as a separate
multiplier in the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) Canada Day Contest and Canada
Winter Contest.

No decision has yet been made on a new prefix for the new territory.  It may be
up to Nunavut hams to agitate for a change, much as Yukon, PEI and New
Brunswick hams have done over the years.

As for the ham population, it's pretty small. I don't know exactly how many
there are, but a browse through the InterNet callbooks should provide an
answer.  VE8RCS is certainly in Nunavut, but other centres of population
include: Iqaluit (ex- Frobisher Bay), Baker Lake, Rankin Inlet, Cambridge Bay,
and Resolute.  Iquluit is the biggest centre, but by souther standards it is a
small town.  I believe VE8HL is one active ham in the area.

Nunavut will become a separate territory in 1999, and include most of the
eastern Northwest Territories.

73, Dave Goodwin VE2ZP/VE9CB
RAC HF Contest Manager
ve2zp at bbs.ve3jf.ampr.org