OMNI V AND VI SPECIAL CW FILTERS

Ron Stone ron at gw3ydx.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 14:36:17 EDT 1995

-----
| Ron Stone, GW3YDX -    EMail ron at gw3ydx.demon.co.uk

-----
Chaps

Those amongst you who are owners of the Omni 5 and 6 transceivers will
know that the NAR filter on CW is built for a 750 Hz audio tone.
Tuning into a tone lower than this (I prefer around 300 - 400 Hz and
using the narrow filter attenuates signals unacceptably.

I have spoken to Ten Tec about this problem (some while ago) and they
said that they did not intend to offer any filter options above what
was available then. The position has not changed.

Ten Tec filters are made by Network Sciences in Arizona. I spoke to
them about having a special filter made. They were quoting $200 for a
single with quantity reductions. At the time I was not prepared to pay
$200, and sent PacketCluster messages to the various Cluster systems
to see if there was any interest for such a "low note" filter.

In all, about 6 people replied saying they would buy a filter at a
reasonable price, but there are now more Omni 6's around and interest
may be greater. I am prepared to go to Network Sciences again and talk
pricing if others are interested.

The proposal is to commission the construction of a filter with the
following specifications (same as the current Model 217 - for 750 Hz
note, filter - but with 400 Hz bandwidth and optimised for 400 Hz
note)

Centre freq - 9.000400
- 6 dB Bandwidth - 400 Hz
- 6:60 dB shape factor 2 : 1 or better.
- Insertion loss - 7.5 dB
- Ultimate rejection - 90 dB
- Z in / out - 200 ohms
- Poles - 8

Please let me know if you are interested. Also please (via Cluster, DX
and Contest Clubs etc) tell your friends with Omni 5 and 6
transceivers. I'll wait a month or so and then issue a bulletin with

Trey - if this is a bit off the mark for the Contest Reflector,
apologies, but I can't think of a better forum.

73
Ron

ps - The Omni is not the worlds best SSB transceiver. Have you
measured the filter response ? Mine is 2.0 KHz at the -6 dB point !!
Network Sciences have built specials for 2.7 KHz so that operators can
sound human on SSB.

pps

I have no connection at all with Network Sciences and am not gaining
any financial advantage from this !