Cryogenic radio? - White noise

K8DO at aol.com K8DO at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 16:09:37 EDT 1995

007 at astro.as.utexas.edu

>Is this just a physiological thing, or something more quantifiable?

Well, I suspect that it is one of those annoying, neurobiologic responses
which are difficult to quantify....It utilizes the integration/discrimination
ability of the ear/brain combination...
It appears that simply filling in the chinks/low-spots in the random noise
fluctuations of the background noise level with white noise, smooths it
enough to allow the ear/brain to to a better job of sensing the
presence/absence of signals just at, or slightly below, the noise level...

Whether this is an electromechanical (i.e. within the ear canal) or a neural
phenomenon (i.e. within the cortex of the brain) is unknown to me...

If it is the first, one can hypothesize that the presence of the white noise
actually changes the threshold and harmonic response  of the celia (nerve
endings which look like hairs) inside the cochlea (the hearing organ), which
are vibrating under the influence of the sound, thus forming a tuned
circuit... This tuned circuit may be actively pulled into phase or out of
phase with the incoming sound, depending on whether the brain wants to
enhance or diminish that particular frequency...
If it is the second, one can hypothesize that the presence of white noise
makes the background smoother so the brain can more effectively perform a
"DSP like" signal processing to enhance some frequencies while diminishing
others...( I lean toward this theory)

If I am tired the effectiveness of the white noise enhancement diminishes or
ceases...
It seems to require the ability to "copy behind", to give the brain time to
integrate the Noise+Signal and compare it to the baseline noise, and when the
noise returns to baseline to say, "Gee, there was a dot/dash buried in
there"....

A fascinating subject, and an ability which is used by CONTESTORS far more
than others...

Cheers  ...  Denny