N4KG Special

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Mon Sep 18 13:28:52 EDT 1995

Could someone describe the N4KG Special.  I have seen it mentioned
several times in contest score writeups but have not seen any
discussion on the reflector.

Thanks in advance,

73  KC5DVT   Wayne     email...ehayes at vnet.ibm.com
Austin, Texas

From: Keith Morehouse-WB9TIY <blckhole at ripco.com> (Keith Morehouse-WB9TIY)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:49:00 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Participation in CW Sprints...

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Derek Wills wrote:

> 	>I don't work CW sprints because I don't think I'm good enough.....
>
> 	>I CAN'T copy CW at 50WPM, 'specially when guys throw those weird
>         >names at me.
>

> Nobody sends at 50, most not even at 40.  If you feel uneasy about the
> speed, listen to an exchange that you can copy, and call the non-sprinter
> right after it, all that happens is that the QSO number goes up by 1, so
> you know the exchange in advance.  I did this the first time, and was often
> too scared when someone called me after a QSO so I just sprinted away...

Well, sure !
But, what I mean is that I don't like to operate without being serious.
I can't feel like I'm doing a good job if I need to poke around, finding
those guys that I can copy and wasting a bunch of time in the process.
Its not that I can't copy decent CW, its that the QRQ factor is high in
this 'test and I have a problem getting it right 100% the first time.
Some might refer to THIS as a character flaw, but I don't feel that I
want to slow down those who are trying to win this thing by asking for a
bunch of fills.

Someone responded (in a personal note) that HE usually sends at 25 WPM.
Good !  But there are MANY who don't.  Enough to make me stay away for
the above reasons.  In talking to MANY part time contesters, I get the
feeling that most of them hesitate to try out CW sprint for the many of
the same reasons.

Valid or invalid, when you ask the question "Where are all the new
participants ??", this is what you're going to hear !

> One day the bands will be no-coders wall-to-wall; doing any CW while you
> still can is important, I think.   Better bad CW than no CW - do it!

Agreed !  I'm just not near as good as the artists who win CW sprints,
which is why I stay away, which was the ORIGINAL subject.

PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
Keith J. Morehouse / WB9TIY / Society of Midwest Contesters
708-696-2828  FAX: 708-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole at ripco.com