No subject

W8FN at aol.com W8FN at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 23:43:23 EDT 1995

..

In a message dated 95-09-19 07:03:51 EDT, blckhole at ripco.com (Keith
Morehouse-WB9TIY) writes:

>Agreed !  I'm just not near as good as the artists who win CW sprints,
>which is why I stay away, which was the ORIGINAL subject. <

And I can't play a guitar, so there's no reason to try. That's a helluva
self-defeating attitude!

Do you actually think all the good CW ops were just hatched with high-speed
code proficiency? There was a time when anybody you hear blowing along at 50
'wPM **didn't know the code**. They learned the code, they practiced, and
they eventually got good at it. Looks like a case of the classic 'Murrican
yen for instant gratification to me: If I can't start at the top, I don't
want to do it at all. It may be a trite observation, but Practice Makes
Perfect. I know of no way to improve a skill except to practice it.

Admittedly, the Sprint is a pretty hard-core thing, but there's a lot to be
learned by just jumping in and mixing it up with the really good ops. You'll
learn things by osmosis. And your code speed WILL increase.