RUFZ at Telegraphy World Championships

RFPWR at aol.com RFPWR at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 00:26:41 EDT 1995

Hello Stan:

>Since all really high speed (40 wpm and faster) code copiers copy some
distance behind you must remember letter sequences for at least a few
seconds.

Back in my younger days, when I could copy high speed CW, the material was 5
character coded groups, either all numbers or all letters. For me it was
impossible to copy behind. If I didn't stay right up with it, I would be left
in the dust. A missed carriage return on the typewriter was a disaster.
Typewriters didn't last long because the carriage return was thrown so hard.
The only time I copied behind was during the carriage return interval, when
the transmission would get ahead of me.

I spent 4 years back in the 1960's as a Morse Intercept Operator in the
military. While in Eu for 3 years, used to copy code practice from UA3KAA at
50 WPM and above (5 character coded groups). The Russians had some super high
speed CW operators back then... probably still do.

As for the form of the Telegraphy World Championship, I suspect it will be
random groups. You are correct in stating that plain language would be unfair
to those who are not copying in their native language. Maybe they should
adopt the format used when I competed for the US in the CW reception category
of the NATO Naval Communications Competition (CONTEST) at Bergen Norway in
1968: 5 character code groups consisting of  mixed letters, numbers, and
punctuation. Punctuation included open parenthesis, closed parenthesis,
hyphen, colon, semi-colon, etc. This was really tough, especially for me as I
had to learn the odd punctuation just weeks before the test. There were five
20 minute test runs, one per day; the best 3 days were averaged for the
score. Scoring was for accuracy instead of raw speed; the test speed was 36
groups per minute. Even at this slower speed, there was no copying behind for
me.

Alas, there was no market for high speed CW operators in the commercial world
in 1970, so I gave it up. The RUFZ program is my first attempt at really high
speed CW reception since then, and it has been a blast. It would really be
interesting to see how the competitors score on RUFZ; I suspect that the
Eastern Eu ops might break 50K.

73, Chas   N8RR

Tack: If you read this I still can't get through to you on E mail. Latest
score is 48907
480    8.364000

From: George Cook <george at epix.net> (George Cook)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 23:45:22 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: contest welfare system

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Sean E. Kutzko wrote:

> The idea of listing the regions seperately is probably the most
> reasonable way of handling the situation. That way, you know who the
> competition was in your specific geographic area.

As it is with any sport!  Lets face it if you want to be a great down
hill skier living in Nebraska might not be a swell idea.  Simerlarly if
you want to be a great surfer living by the ocean might be advisable.

So you wanna win Radio contests?  Which one?  Maybe living in like VP5
land would be a good idea.  Heck move onto CY0 little nippy in the winter
to be sure but hey think of the score!

I once heard my co-club member N3RS say to oit your score against
stations of similar design and area.  That way you  are competeing
against the hardest opponent you could possibly have.....yourself!

It would be ludicrus for me to go after say W3LPL for me to beat him I
will have to wait for Frank to be locked up in an old age home with
nothing but a handi talkie with half dead batteries.  Then I might have
an even chance and then only if my amp don't break down!

But I can go up against a friend of mine like KE3RR and as my station
grows I will set my sights higher.  And who knows maybe one day I will
honestly take on Frank but not today.

Please no afirmitive action programs.  Beat yourself and you have one a
grand victory.
GC

* George Cook   AA3JU  Bangor, PA  FN21         *
* george at peach.epix.net  AA3JU at N3IQD.EPA.USA.NA *
* If you're not FRC remember:...............    *
* .......There's no shame in being 2nd best!    *

From: Matthew S. Trott" <0007288678 at mcimail.com (Matthew S. Trott)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 23:17 EST
Subject: Shooting Tower Guy Points

Seeings how it's about winter, I am trying to find time to get my tower up and
I was musing about how one goes about getting the guy points at the exact right
angle. The Rohn book shows a tolerance of plus/minus 0.1 degree in this matter.
That's not a lot of room for error.

I know some have had success running a line off each tower leg to acheive the
desired effect. In talking to a buddy recently I discovered what is propably an
even better way. This method is by the use of bore sighting along each leg and
it seems like it would be very accurate.

I havent done it yet but the way it works as I understand it is, you take a 2
inch wide piece of metal and u-bolt it across 2 of the tower legs. Determine
the exact center of the piece of metal (20 or so inches long for 45G) and drill
2 small holes either  side of center. These holes are used for sighting the guy
points across the 3rd leg. Have an individual at the edge of the guy radius and
use him to get the exact angle. Then just move the "sight" metal to the
remaining sides of the tower to do the same thing.

Sounds like a winner, I just thought I'd see what other methods youse guys use
to get your guy points set.

I'm sure this has come up before, but it's all new to me.

73, Matt  AA7BG
aa7bg at mcimail.com

From: k2mm at MasPar.COM (John Zapisek K2MM) (John Zapisek K2MM)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 21:24:12 PDT
Subject: Calif QSO Party Next Weekend!

The California QSO Party runs again next weekend -- October 7 & 8 -- with
awards that can't be beat -- certificates, plaques, T-shirts, even vintage
California wine!  Starting time on Saturday is 9am PDT 12m EDT.

This year's CQP has only a few changes from last year:

    * E-mail logs accepted <cqp-1995 at kb.org>

    * 10-Minute rule for Multi-Single

    * NCDXC and SCDXC join NCCC and SCCC in being "recused"
      from club competition

Live in California?  Or maybe just visiting for the weekend?  Think about
doing a CA county DX-pedition.  Some home stations in rare counties are
even available -- you don't HAVE to be a camper to go on a DX-pedition, at
least not if it's done California-style!

County activity is being coordinated again by Bob Wilson, N6TV.  Send him
e-mail (n6tv at vnet.ibm.com) or call him on the phone (408-629-9480 evenings)
to reserve your very own county!

Here are the current rules.  Good luck and Good Hunting!  73.  --John/K2MM

########

                      1995 California QSO Party (CQP)
             Sponsored by the Northern California Contest Club

    Begins:  1995 October 7, 1600 UTC    Ends:  1995 October 8, 2200 UTC

OBJECT:
    Stations outside of California work as many California stations in as
    many CA counties as possible.  Stations in California work anyone.

EXCHANGE:
    California stations send QSO number and county.  Stations outside of
    California send QSO number and state, province, or country.

QSO POINTS:
    Each complete non-duplicate Phone contact is worth 2 points.  Each
    complete non-duplicate CW contact is worth 3 points.  No partial contact
    credit.  Duplicate contacts must be clearly identified in log.

MULTIPLIERS:
    California stations count states (50) and Canadian provinces (VO/VE1-7
    and VY1/VE8) for a possible total of 58.  All others use California
    counties for a maximum of 58.  CA stations on a county line may be
    claimed as a multiplier for any or all of the counties they give in
    their exchange.  Number each multiplier as worked.

SCORE:
    The total score is the total number of QSO points multiplied by the
    total number of multipliers (58 Maximum).

FREQUENCIES:
    160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, and 2 meters.  WARC band contacts do not
    count.  Suggest CW on 1805 and 40 kHz up from band edge.  Phone on 1850,
    3850, 7230, 14250, 21300, and 28450 kHz.  Novices 10 kHz up from band
    edge and 28450.  Try CW on the half hour.  Try 160 meters at 0500 UTC,
    80/75 meters at 0300 and 0700 UTC.  Try 147.54 MHz at 2000, 0000, and
    0400 UTC.

CLASS ENTRY:
    Single-Operator, Multi-Single, Multi-Multi, California County
    Expedition, Mobile, and Novice/Tech.  Single-Operator entries limited to
    24 hours maximum; off times must be clearly marked in the log and be a
    minimum of 15 minutes.  Multi-Operator entries may operate the full 30
    hours.  Multi-Single entries must work only one band/mode for at least
    10 minutes before changing band or mode.  Stations may be worked once on
    CW and once on Phone per band.  Single-Operator and Multi-Single entries
    are allowed only one transmitted signal.  All CW contacts must be made
    outside the Phone sub-bands except for 160 meters.  MCW is not
    permitted.  All contacts must be simplex.  California stations that
    change counties are considered to be a new station and may be contacted
    again for point and multiplier credit.  California stations operating on
    a county line may be counted only as one QSO.

ENTRIES:
    Entries must be submitted no later than 1995 November 15.  Entries of
    200 or more QSOs must include duplicate check lists.

    Logs may be submitted via postal mail to:  NCCC, c/o Ken Anderson, K6PU,
    Box 853, Pine Grove, CA 95665.  Entries may be submitted in CT Version
    8 or 9 format with .BIN, .SUM, and .ALL files on 5-1/4 or 3-1/2 inch
    diskettes (no 2.88-MB diskettes).  Label each diskette with call, entry
    category, and county/state/province/country.  Please include a hard-copy
    summary sheet.  Logs may also be submitted electronically by e-mail in
    ASCII format to cqp-1995 at kb.org.

    A one-dollar donation to help defray costs of printing and postage is
    encouraged.  For a CQP paperwork package containing log and summary
    sheets, county abbreviations, and contest records, send a business size
    SASE to the above address.

AWARDS:
    Entries with 100 or more QSO's qualify for the special CQP T-shirt;
    please include your size (L/XL) and $8 if you qualify and would like
    this special award.

    Certificates -- To top Single-Op entry in each CA county, state,
    province, country, and to stations with 100 or more QSOs.

    Trophies -- To top three non CA Single-Op entries, top three CA Single
    Op, top CA Multi-Single, top CA Multi-Multi, top Single-Op and Multi-Op
    CA County expeditions, and to the Mobile (multi-county) Single-Op and
    Multi-Op with the most QSOs.

    Special CQP Wine Award -- The top 20 CA and top 20 non-CA Single-Op
    operators will receive a personalized bottle of NCCC Private Reserve
    California Wine.  Winners under the age of 21 will receive a
    non-alcoholic personalized award.

    Special Awards -- To the CA and non-CA Single-Ops with the most CW QSOs,
    with the most Phone QSOs; to the top CA and non-CA Single-Op low power
    entries (200 watts or less output); to the top CA and non-CA Single-Op
    Novice/Technician entries; to the top scorer outside of the USA and
    Canada; and to the top club in California.  (5 entries minimum.  NCCC,
    SCCC, NCDXC, and SCDXC are ineligible.)

########

From: stevem at w8hd.org (Steve Maki) (Steve Maki)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 23:53:54 -0400
Subject: more on guywires and insulators

>        The only sure way to prevent guy wire interaction is this:  Make
>your sections less than 1/4 wave of the highest frequency you will be using
>on that tower.  Yes, that's a lot of insulators , but my tests show no
>interaction when using this method.  I still had interaction when using
>supposedly non-resonant lengths that were beyond 1/4 wave.

But you probably don't have to break them up all the way to the ground.

I use a staggered method, for example:

On my 10 meter tower, starting at the tower, my lengths are
[6.5'][6.5'][13'][13'][random length to ground].

On the 20 meter tower: [13'][13'][26'][26'][random length to ground].

The theory being that if that random length is resonant, it is far
enough away from the antennas to cause no serious harm.

It's only a theory, but so far it has worked for me.
--
Steve Maki K8LX
stevem at w8hd.org