A 15m observation WPX SSB

ramirezk at emi.com ramirezk at emi.com
Thu Apr 4 20:22:36 EST 1996

 When the 15m band finally sprang to life at about 1800z on
Saturday I had the chance to run US and Europe for a change.
This was something I hadn't had a chance to do this my KH2F days
back in Guam and Midway Island. I played around a bit with the
Iding portion of the running. Is it me or have US stations
become even more impatient on the bands? I ID'ed after every QSO
and never had someone ask me,"what's your call?". I tried IDing
every 2 qsos and was asked many times after my "QRZ", "what's
your call?".  I remember being able to run 3 stations straight
before IDing and never having someone ask me that question.This
was back in the 80s. I don't understand why a station cannot
wait for at least one transmission to go by to see if a station
will ID or not.Serious in the contest or not,asking that
question without giving your own call is illegal and usually
winds up interfering with another station who is calling. I
suspect that the culprits are mostly serious contesters who
don't want to waste precious seconds waiting for an op to
identify on the second time around. Anyway, I ID'ed after each
QSO 98% of the time which worked fine for me.
                                    73 Ken KP4XS