May 96 CQ out

HENRYPOL at aol.com HENRYPOL at aol.com
Sun Apr 14 22:23:58 EDT 1996

So I'm at the Raleigh Hamfest Sunday morning, checking out all of the junque,
looking for that great bargain, when I notice that several of the dealers
have the May 96 issue of CQ.  Being an avid magazine reader, I just couldn't
wait until Monday morning to see if my subscription copy arrives at the PO
box.

Does anyone know why the dealers get their retail copies before those of us
that have subscribed get ours?  This phenomenon does not happen with ham
magazines alone.

SPECIAL NOTE to NCJ and CQ Contest management:  There were NO sample COPIES
of these issues anywhere to be perused by anyone that might be interested.
 You might want to send dealers some samples of leftover back issues for
display at hamfest.  There was one copy of CQ's Getting Started In Contesting
video at one of the dealers.

Front cover photo of WA4NJP's 36 ft. EME dish with some detail on the table
of contents page.  Sure would be nice if the VHF Plus column had included
some more detail on his equipment.

What's in this issue that is contest-related:  Results of the 95 CQ WW WPX CW
Contest; review of the JPS ANC-4; Simple Isolation Interface Devices; Contest
Calendar column - What Makes a Contester Great? and Results of the 95 Poisson
d'Avril Contest.

Other interesting items: Math's Notes column - Who Really Invented Radio?;
Doug's Desk - home brewing tips; World of Ideas - Part II of Milliwatts and
Micronauts; VHF Plus - more on the IC706; Propagation - Solar Cycle Progress

For the Contester who already has everything; check out the ad for a
MasterCard credit card with your call and picture of your shack on the card!
 They'll be at Dayton!

Other ads: New Sommer antenna - modified HF-VHF-UHF Discone (all in one
antenna, 160 - 2 and up); and just in time for those Dayton Contest bashes, a
19 oz glass stein with CQ's logo (wouldn't these make great second and third
prizes for some of the contests?); new EarTalk Mark II (ear piece and mic
in-one; has anyone tried one of these during a contest instead of those bulky
boom mic headset?  Wonder if they make those neat single ear piece short-boom
mics used on the TV show Space Above & Beyond?).

Almost forgot, the May issue of CQ VHF is out also.  Picked up a copy; but
nothing of interest for the HF contest community that I could find other than
some discussion of the code requirement.

73 and good reading,
Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol at aol.com