TVI Tips

W8JITom at aol.com W8JITom at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 11:59:10 EDT 1996

Hi Lee,

>A good source for good High Pass filters?  Where do you find ferrite cores
>these days?  Any help would be appreciated.  TU
>
>Lee Buller, K0WA
>k0wa at southwind.net

I can tell you a **poor source** for TVI filters, Tucker electronics.

The Tucker low-pass filter my friend bought was in a pretty looking, heavy
case. But the case had paint on the cover mounting edges and insulating
washers under the cover screws. It had long wire lead conventional disk
capacitors and toroids as the filter element. The construction was
unthinkably POOR for a VHF-UHF filter.

It had severe case radiation, and poor VHF-UHF attenuation. It actually
CAUSED TVI in my friend's installation!

We replaced it with a jumper and TVI was reduced, we added an old Bencher and
the TVI went away!

73 Tom