First Contest Stations

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Fri Apr 26 00:20:36 EDT 1996

Thinking back on my first contest station brings back many fond memories.  I
was licensed as KN9WVJ in 1960, and started by using 80M Command sets
purchased from Fair Radio.  Later that year, I purchased a Johnson
Adventurer, and picked up a used Heath AR-3 and QF-1 Q Multiplier.  It didn't
take long to realize that the AR-3 wasn't up to the task, so I bought a
Morrow 5 band mobile converter, which converted the AR-3 into a fairly "hot"
dual conversion receiver.  My first SS was in 1963, and I believe I made
about 150 QSOs.  In 1964, my total was up to 240, not bad for 50W and a hand
key! When the 807 died in the Adventurer, I replaced it with a 6146.
 Eventually, two 6146s were squeezed into the Adventurer box, and it ran a
very hot 150W out.

Antennas were all longwires, ranging in length from 66' to 600'.  I usually
had four antennas up at any given time.  I was blessed by a great location, a
large lot overlooking the Wisconsin River Valley.

In 1966, I entered the Air Force Academy, and my studies took me away ham
radio until late in my Junior year.  I was reticketed as W9LIZ.  The club
station at the academy consisted of a TA-33 that had been almost completely
destroyed by the Colorado winds.  The coax runs ferom the second to the sixth
floors were also very old and lossy, so even simple dipoles didn't load or
perform well.  I didn't enjoy using the club S-line on CW, so I borrowed the
club's 75A-4 (with all filters) and found a really ugly old Ranger, and set
up a station in a 6th floor janitor closet and strung a stealth  200'
longwire between two dorms.  This antenna was hugely successful on all bands,
particularly 160M. Was it WA0CVS that I did battle with so often on that
band?  The ugly Ranger was eventually replaced with a very pretty Ranger II.
  To this day, this combination was my favorite rig.

As my senior year was drawing to a close, I bought a Drake R-4B, and used my
new-found wealth as a second lieutenant to purchase a matching T-4X a year
later.  I never really felt competitive in contests until the 1971
Sweepstakes, when I realized that my score would have put me in the top ten
low power box had I bothered to send my log in!

Now I'm an Air Force Colonel with four kids, one entering college.  Wish I
still had the disposable income I had as a lieutenant!

Whenever I get a little depressed about "only" making 800 Qs in SS, I need
only recall my days of nervously pounding on a hand key for two weekends a
achieve a whopping score of 30K points!!      73, Paul KB8N