Firsts ...Will we pass it on?

Paul Staupe pstaupe at acs.uswest.com
Fri Apr 26 12:08:37 EDT 1996

First call:  WN0BQA   1970
Reverend Bittner organized a 7th grade ham radio class, and about
five of us showed up.  A few months later, the class was over, and I
was the only one left,  having convinced my Dad to rent an
Instructograph in order to learn the code.   My curiosity about this
hobby was begun  by experiencing the wonders of  SWLing at my
cousin's farm on a  National NC 183D a year earlier.  I had no idea
at the time that  the strange whooshing sounds created by CW
detected without a BFO would be so indelibly impressed on my brain,
or  that I could participate in making my own music (CW).   The
'hook' was set by visiting W0AIH 's QTH  after the class ended and
seeing a real  contest station in action.  Thanks, Paul.

First QSO:  W0AIH (of course)

First Rig:  Hammarlund HQ 110, borrowed (again with W0AIH's help)
from the Civil Defense department, and  a Johnson Ranger with four
crystals.

The Hammarlund and Ranger were replaced when I passed my
Conditional class license (guess who proctored the test?) with a
T-4X & R-4A  again sourced by W0AIH.

I find it fascinating that my two sons, ages 13 and 11 have never
expressed any interest whatsoever in the hobby, even though I've
been a ham now for (gasp) 26 years and my father in law was a ham.
In my case, the radio was an extension of my imagination, sort of
an extended book experience...   Could it be that passive television
viewing and computers have replaced our hobby as an extension of
our children's imaginations?

Paul WZ0V
pstaupe at uswest.com