ARRL CAC input sought

albraun at socketis.net albraun at socketis.net
Sat Aug 3 02:18:24 EDT 1996

jdowning at intelenet.net wrote:
>I'd like to pass my input to the group on the proposed M/S 10 minute
>rule change.  The proposal is simple: eliminate it entirely.  Simple
>rule: only one transmitter and one receiver allowed on at any one time.
>QSY as much as you want.  But no second rig for "running" two bands at
>once.  (Call it the "30 second" rule if you like).  This approach keeps
>the amount of equipment for a competitive operation to a minimum -
>unlike the CQWW that forces us to build two complete and separate high
>power stations to be competitive.   For those of us that journey
>offshore for these shindigs minimizing the amount of stuff to be
>shipped, broken, and lost makes a real difference.

As a veteran of 2 DXpeditions to V3 for the ARRL contest, I agree
1000% with this idea.  My trips to Belize were one-radio operations,
but we went M/S due to their being more than one operator taking turns
with the radio.  The 10-minute rule was a real pain and kept us from
making band changes (to 160 for example) that would have given a new
mult to someone but would then have left us stuck on a dead band for
10 minutes, time that could be more productively used elsewhere.  The
ARRL test already has a "multi-2" category anyway that the 2-radio
guys can use.  Especially for a contest like the ARRL, where the DX
guys can only work W/VE stations, I think it is to the organizers'
advantage to make things as easy as possible for the guys that cough
up their hard-earned bucks to go overseas to give everyone else a
mult.  (Yea I know there's a tropical trip in the wintertime involved
too, but I never spent more than 1 day before or after the contest in
Belize before coming home, so it was basically just a radio trip so
don't turn on the flamethrowers!)

73 - Alan NS0B/V31EV

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun at socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B at N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *