Lawyerphobia? You Bet!

David Robbins ky1h at berkshire.net
Thu Aug 8 22:24:01 EDT 1996

cncnet - Bill Snider wrote:

> At 10:33 PM 8/7/96 -0800, Wayne Overbeck wrote a message entitled
> "Lawyerphobia."
>
> Lawyerphobia? Fear of lawyers? You bet I fear lawyers. Both attack
> lawyers and rabid skunks can cause in individual extreme damage if
> not avoided. Unfortunately by the time you know that you are dealing
> with an attack lawyer, you're already in deep doo-doo. The rabid
> skunk can be evaded or shot. Shooting the lawyer will bring on a
> whole new set of problems, and he'll just be replaced anyway.
>
> As so many others have said, U. S. amateur radio has just entered
> an era of limitless civil liability. We are constantly at risk. We
> have no way to prove whether or not we're "legal," to ourselves or
> to our rightfully concerned neighbors. We can't show anyone a mean-
> ingful meter or spread sheet to prove that we're in compliance
> with the regs. If we can't prove we're right, some neighbors will
> recognize the opportunity to take our houses, cars, bank accounts
> and radios the moment Grannie develops a tumor.
>
> This stuff happens, Wayne. It WILL happen.
>
> Count on it.
>
> Bill, K6KM

whats even worse, you don't even have to be actually violating the
rules for someone to sue you.  just the fact that the rule exists
is enough of an admission by the federal government that there MAY
be harm in rf energy.  this will be enough for someone to claim that
they have been harmed, be it real or imagined.  and some hungry lawyer
will pick it up and find a judge thats po'ed at his cb neighbor for
interfering with the superbowl and away we go!  all it takes is one
success and the rest of the vultures will start circling neighborhoods
looking for antennas to sue.

after all, congress started this whole thing... so enough of them
must have been convinced by someone to force the fcc to put in
these rules.  i wouldn't be surprised if some smart lawyers are
already sitting on cases against deep pocket broadcasters, and once
the big cases get going the little ones can't be far behind.

ky1h at berkshire.net   or   robbins at berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html