REAL Multi-single (ARRL DX)

AA4NC at aol.com AA4NC at aol.com
Wed Aug 14 20:43:14 EDT 1996

I think AA4LR stated it very well:

>Perhaps multi-single needs to be defined as multiple operators working a
>single transmitter, as I'm sure the rules originally intended.

Why don't we do it this way in the ARRL DX Test? This will allow smaller
multiops to be competitive, as well as allowing a "suitcase" expedition to be
competitive in this class, without having to carry a lot of extra gear. We
can forget x bandchanges per hour, or minimums on a band. We still have
Multi/2 and M/M if you want to do something bigger.

Yes, it's unenforceable (you can cheat by having 2, 3, or more signals at
once), but so are other rules (power levels, etc.). The plaque you win is
worth what you paid for it in the end anyway...

I often operate M/S (mostly from the DX side) and it is my favorite category
from home.  I think the 2 main points that those of us that favor this mode
are:
1. Don't make it necessary to have 2 radios to be competitive.
2. Get rid of the 10 minute rule.

My 2 cents worth...

73,

Will Roberts AA4NC