FW: The ARRL Letter Update 8/16/96

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Fri Aug 16 23:54:35 EDT 1996

Excerpts of interest to contesters from this week's ARRL Letter Update
(see www.arrl.org):

The ARRL Letter
Electronic Update
August 16, 1996
__________________________________
IN THIS UPDATE:

* League asks for time extension to revise exams
* FCC issues revised call sign table
* Local control over RFI sought
* First DATV QSO!
* Solar activity down, flux above average
* The W8VM Transoceanic DX Challenge
* New QRP book now available
* In Brief: JAS-2 launch; Vanity stats;
   W3IWI honored; Pranghofer recovery fund;
   launch delayed

FCC ISSUES REVISED CALL SIGN TABLE

Working up that list of favorite call signs as you await the opening of
vanity Gates 2, 3 or 4? Well, you should know that certain combinations of
letters are not assignable. According to the most recent information from
the FCC, these include: KA2AA-KA9ZZ, KC4AAA-KC4AAF, KC4USA-KC4USZ,
KG4AA-KG4ZZ, KC6AA-KC6ZZ, KL9KAA-KL9KHZ, KX6AA-KX6ZZ; any call sign having
the letters SOS or QRA-QUZ as the suffix. In addition, don't ask for any
call sign having the letters AM-AZ as the prefix; any 2x3 format call sign
having the letter X as the first letter of the suffix; any 2x3 format call
sign having the letters AF, KF, NF or WF as the prefix and the letters EMA
as the suffix; any 2x3 format call sign having the letters NA-NZ as the
prefix; any 2x3 format call sign having the letters KP, NP or WP as the
prefix and the numeral 0 , 6, 7, 8 or 9; any 2x2 format call sign having the
letters KP, NP or WP as the prefix and the numeral 0 , 6, 7, 8 or 9; or any
2x1 format call sign having the letters KP, NP or WP as the prefix and the
numeral 0 , 6, 7, 8 or 9.

The FCC will not assign any letter combinations that prior recipients have
found offensive. Also remember that 2x1 call signs having the single letter
prefix (K, N or W), a single digit numeral (0 , 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9)
and a single-letter suffix are reserved for the special-event call sign
system.

FCC Form PR-5000 #206V, Amateur Station Vanity Call Sign System, outlines
all the procedures for the vanity call sign system. For more information,
call the FCC Consumer Assistance Branch, 800-322-1117 or 717-338-2500, or
write 1270 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245.

WISCONSIN SENATOR SEEKS LOCAL CONTROL OVER RFI

Acting in response to what he says are nearly 45,000 complaints to the FCC
every year, first-term Sen Russ Feingold (D-Wisconsin) as introduced S 2025,
which would give state, county and local governments the ability to regulate
interference from CB radios "when that interference results from a violation
of FCC rules." Saying his bill "simply allows common sense to prevail,"
Feingold reasons his measure would give states and localities the ability to
investigate and enforce Federal law, "thereby protecting the rights of their
residents." The bill would only affect unauthorized CB transmitters or
amplifiers. Municipalities could prohibit use of the equipment and levy
fines or other monetary sanctions.

Recently, the City Council of Beloit, Wisconsin--reacting to complaints from
local residents of interference to home electronic equipment--passed an
ordinance that would give that city the power to enforce FCC regulations on
CB interference. While the bill is an explicit reversal of the total Federal
preemption over telecommunications matters granted by the Communications Act
of 1934, it contains a provision reaffirming the continued Federal
preemption in handling other types of RFI.

Feingold said he's tried to enlist FCC help in investigating constituents'
RFI complaints without success. He said he was told the FCC no longer
investigates RFI complaints and offers "only a packet of self-help
information for the consumer to limit the interference on their own."

It's all a question of fairness, Feingold says: "It is not fair that
municipalities and their residents should be hamstrung by an outdated
Federal preemption of laws the Federal government no longer has the
resources to enforce." The bill has been referred to the Senate Commerce,
Science and Transportation Committee.

W8VM TRANSOCEANIC DX CHALLENGE

The West Park Radiops of Bay Village, Ohio, has announced the W8VM
Transoceanic DX Challenge. The idea is to become the first Amateur Radio
DXpedition team to establish a two-way QSO over the longest ocean path,
which the group estimates at up to 22,000 miles. The end points of the path
must be on continents or peninsulas that are part of DXCC countries. The
trick is that a line between the two points may not cross land, including
large islands or peninsulas.

Entry forms and complete rules are available for an SASE from the W8VM crew.

Write West Park Radiops Inc, 513 Kenilworth Rd, Bay Village, OH
44140.--Glenn Williams, AF8C

* Vanity call sign stats: As of August 6, the FCC's Larry Weikert reports
3545 applications have been filed with Gettysburg to take advantage of the
program, which began May 31. Still no word on when Gate 2 will open. Vanity
applicants should take note that the FCC has set aside some vanity grants
from individuals that it subsequently determined were not eligible for the
call signs they had requested. To avoid problems, make sure you're eligible
under the current gate(s) before you apply.

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444