December CQ out

HENRYPOL at aol.com HENRYPOL at aol.com
Fri Dec 6 22:55:33 EST 1996

Was out of town this week on business, so not sure when this arrived.  Also,
stopped by the local magazine stand on the way home this afternoon to pick up
the latest fishing magazines, and found this issue of CQ already on the
shelf.  Thus some of you may already have your copy, but for those who don't,
and those who don't subscribe, here goes....

As for the front cover photo, lets just say it is seasonally-inspired.
 There's a ham (unidentified), apparently asleep, dreaming of a new rig.  But
wait a minute!  From the looks of his station, he is probably an HF operator,
maybe even a contester.  There is a 1500 watt antenna tuner, a six position
antenna switch, a Hygain HAM series rotator control, a speaker with internal
audio filters, a PC, etc.  So, WHY is he dreaming of a dual band VHF FM
rig???.....  Where are those SPOTs!?

Contest related items:  Results - 96 CQWWDX 160 Meter Contest; Review of
Ten-Tec 411 Centaur Amplifier (strange that the photo does not show '411'
anywhere; plus it has three 811s inside, so why not '311' or '811'?),
International Antenna Corp. Double Bazooka Antenna, and RMS CN-220 Power/SWR
Meter; Contest Calendar - Contesting in 1997; and Propagation - Better HF
Propagation Coming! (maybe that guy on the front cover will wake up now)

Other interesting items:  Doug's Desk - Curing QRN Squasher MK-II Overloading
(remember this?, see June CQ); World of Ideas - Holiday Cheer Amateur Radio
Style (more holiday gift ideas, including a NEW antique radio kit!); and
Bill's Basics - Goodies Part II (even more gift ideas)

Don't forget that the ARRL 10 Meter Contest is next weekend!  I plan to
answer any CQs that I hear between 28,300 and 28,350.  We'll probably need
all the contacts we can get to build up some decent scores.

73 and good reading,

Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol at aol.com