January 1997 CQ arrives; Magazine summary survey

HENRYPOL at aol.com HENRYPOL at aol.com
Thu Dec 26 22:55:59 EST 1996

Made a post-Christmas Day trip out to one of the malls here in Raleigh, NC,
to get in on some of the after-Christmas discount sales of Christmas items.
 Spent $20, which must mean I saved around $20, since everything was at 50%
off.  Now if I can put them somewhere that I can remember next year when I
need them!  Anyhow, I'm sure that I'll remember to tell the wife in November
that I saved enough to renew my CQ subscription.  While out I decided to
check out the PO Box.  I wonder if postal workers have contests (regular
envelopes count as one point each while magazines and catalogs are
multipliers :-)) around holidays to see how much mail they can stuff into
those small boxes?  They managed to get in, and I pulled out, the latest CQ
without ripping the cover.

OK, so what's this issue about.....

Front cover photo of W7XR and his trusty dog, with an interesting poster -
 WAX the East Coast.  The details are on the Contents page in fine type.

Contest related items:  The Box Antenna (high-gain, 2 element, vertical array
for the low bands); Reviews of JPS NIP-12 Noise & Interference Reducer and
Vibroplex 1996 Version Bug & Paddle; High-Claimed Scores - 96 CQ WPX CW
Contest; Another Look At Feed Lines; VHF Plus column - VHF+ Contesting &
Awards; and Contest Calendar - Those Good Old Days of Contesting.

Other interesting items:  Reviews of Ramsey SX Series 20 Meter SSB QRP rig,
 PCBoards Software, and Radio Shack Probe-Style Oscilloscope; Antennas &
Accessories column - Antenna Ramblings (including some Quad versus Yagi
observations); Doug's Desk column - A Tunable BFO for Collins Filters; and
Propagation column - New Sunspot Cycle; and more.....

Ads:  New ad for the Alpha 91B; Raibeam has a new 6 element (2 elements per
band) tri-bander on a 12 ft. boom (interesting competitor for the Force 12
C-3?).

That's all for this issue.  And now....

***Magazine Summary Survey***

I have been doing this summaries for about a year now, and need some input as
to whether to continue, make changes, or just stop.  I have enjoyed doing
these, adding a little humor, asking questions, or making IMHO comments.  I
have received dozens of positive comments and encouragement, and good
feedback to my questions.  Oh, and there are a few (including 2 that would
not even provide a valid return address) that have provided flames.   Some
may think that everyone here on this reflector gets all of the
contest-related magazines (CQ, QST, NCJ, & CQ Contest); well, based on the
input I have received from some of you, that is not always the case (but, I
could be wrong!).

So at this time I would like to hear from those of you that have not voiced
any opinion.  Are these postings using up too much bandwidth? If I continue,
should they just list the contents page only?

A short response with something like: continue, STOP, or make changes is
adequate.  However, any additional comments are OK also.  I'll let you know
what the results are in a later posting. Thanks.

73, good reading, & Happy New Year

Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol at aol.com