IOTA Contest 1995 Results

Brian McGinness wa3wjd at wirelessinc.com
Tue Feb 6 03:21:43 EST 1996

Forwarding note from: Jan Almedal <janalme at sn.no> 02/05/96  8:10pm +0100

>At 01:18 05.02.96 EST, you wrote:
>>Here are the results of the 1995 IOTA Contest. Results booklets have been
>>posted to all entrants. The 1996 contest will be on 27-28 August 1200-1200z
>>and I will post the rules here next week. If anyone would like the full
>>results including IOTA ref, points and mults, please send me an email.
>>
>>73, Dave G4BUO
>
>Suppose you mean July.....
>
>Best 73 de
>Jan / LA9HW
>
>http://www.sn.no/~janalme/hammain.html

Which is it? July or August???? I have to apply for special use permits and
sure would like to have the correct date!

73, Brian

*****************************
* Brian McGinness WA3WJD    *
* wa3wjd at wirelessinc.com    *
* Potomac Valley Radio Club *
*****************************

From: k9vv at indy.net (Fred Kleber K9VV) (Fred Kleber K9VV)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 22:33:04 -0600
Subject: Contesters in Disaster Communications

K3ZO's recollections of the 1985 Mexico City quake brought back many vivid
memories of my interactions with our southern neighbors.  I too was involved
in passing numerous messages (about 5000 I think) over the course of a week
or so.  The primary traffic frequency became so congested that we went to a
three frequency solution.  (One for passing traffic, one for taking new
traffic & one for passing received answers)  A local radio club would
collect all of the incoming traffic & pass it to us on packet.  We'd pass
the replies to another member of the club who would pass it over the air.

Some key things I learned

-    Assign a traffic number to each message encoding the origination date
into the number
-    Make sure you clearly annunciate the difference between "seis" and "tres"
-    All of the long distance bills are justified by one emotional, teary
eyed, thank you.
-    If K1MAN comes on the frequency and claims it's his god given right to
be NCS, call the FCC

With the progress in the packet world, I'm sure a disaster of the '85
quake's magnitude would be handled mostly with packet.  Maybe someone should
have a WRTC type contest that would be a simulated national disaster to hone
some of the raw talent that exists among our fraternity.

73,
Fred Fubar, K9VV
(New e-mail k9vv at indy.net)