TOP TEN DEVICES

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Fri Feb 16 09:24:16 EST 1996

Hope you don't get this msg. twice...It appeared to have bounced the
first time!

Does anyone have a phone number and or address for the subject business?
Apparently, I don't subscribe to a publication they advertise in but would
like to get a catalog.

Thanks,

Wayne   KC5DVT    ehayes at vnet.ibm.com

>From Rich L. Boyd" <rlboyd at CapAccess.org  Fri Feb 16 16:16:40 1996
From: Rich L. Boyd" <rlboyd at CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:16:40 -0500 (EST)
Subject: crankup caution (fwd)

Rich Boyd KE3Q

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 12:43:50 GMT
From: tony wyn jones <tony at gwyepu.demon.co.uk>
To: rlboyd at capaccess.org
Subject: Re: crankup caution

HI Rich,

Well, I can but relate to a sticky situation I found myself in a few years ago while
doing a local VHF contest field-day. Being an enthusiastic teenage know-all, I decided
to climb a 60ft crank-up, and attach a 500w floodlamp at the 30ft point, so we could
have an illuminated contest site at night. (we are already qrv at this time, and pulling
the VHF array down in mid-contest was not acceptable to everyone!)

After the contest, I was asked to retreive the halogen lamp, and decided to climb the
crank-up. I didn't even have a climbing belt (WAS I STUPID!), but 30ft wasn't that high
to an enthusiastic teenager......Whilst undoing the lamp's fastening with one hand,
and holding on to the tower with the other, the top and middle sections of the crank-up
collapsed about 2 feet into the bottom section.

I was violently jerked, and for a split-second was left dangling with one hand firmly
crushed in-between two sections, and blood proceeded to gush out and run down the tower
leg. I nearly passed out, but somehow managed to hang on with my "good" hand. Unbenown
to me, someone had tried to wind the mast down, and it had become jammed, but about 2 ft
of wind-up wire rope slack had been released, and when I climbed to the 30ft mark, and
jerked the sections, dowm came the mast, thereby trapping my hand and severely damaging
my fingers.

What was annoying was the fact that the "team" hadn't noticed anything was wrong, and it
took some considerable time to alert them that a serious accident had happened (one guy
came to the bottom of the mast to see if he could help, and passed out as blood poured
over him!).

I could only be released by someone climbing the mast with an iron bar, and forcefully
lifting the top two sections in a crowbar fashion. I had been essentially trapped at the
30ft level, and had lost lots of blood, and then had to climb down with one hand! When
I got to the bottom, feeling giddy and weak (faint!), another HERO passed out when he
uttered " let's have a look at this scratch then!".........

I was taken to Hospital over 20 miles away, and my fingers were sown back on my hand,
although today  have lot's of bad scars, the only tell-tail sign is that my "ring" finger
and my little finger are bent like bananas.

I am NOT proud of this episode, and consider I was extremely lucky not to have passed-out
and lost my grip of the mast at the 30ft level, and may be loosing all my fingers at that
point!!!

I've never sent much to the Internet reflectors, as I have to receive my mail this end
through a 3rd party, and sending to the "group" is hassle. I would be grateful if you
would consider forwarding or reproducing this message to any reflector you may think
appropriate, in the hope that it prevents others from doing such lethal things as
climbing crank-up masts!!

(Did I type all the above with all these bent fingers Hi!)

73 de  T O N Y .. GW4VEQ

--
Tony Wyn Jones
tel: 01248 750262 [Ext:290]