How Separate Tubing?

John A. Ross, IV wb2k at ritz.mordor.com
Mon Feb 26 09:40:13 EST 1996

>At W3USS, when I got the HF6V down, I found that a screw had come out that holds
>the top two telescoped aluminum pieces in place.  May have been years ago; would
>have been greased only for the normal overlap, not the additional foot or
>whatever that it is now telescoped.  Couldn't budge it by twisting.  Anyone have
>a good idea on how to get this telescoped aluminum apart?  Really need antenna
>for 80/160 in CONTEST. (Roof is copper sheetin -- good groundplane -- and 100
>feet high, so transmits better than average.  Also receives all the buidling and
>city noises better than average, am working on that too.) Thanks.
>Dave K3ZJ (0006358668 at mcimail.com)

I had this happen twice on old antennas (couldn't get sections apart). My
first thought was to use heat. I heated up the joint, then immersed the
smaller section in cold water up to just near the joint. I had hoped the
smaller section would cool (and contract faster). It didn't work for me,
but may for you.

What _did_ work was about 6 applications of Liquid Wrench over a day or so.
and tapping the joint with the handle of a big screwdiver to help it work
in. The key indgredient was to then knock the section IN a bit from the
end. That freed it up and it came back out with normal twisting.

Good Luck...John
John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2QRZ [Zone 2]  (wb2k at ritz.mordor.com)
Summit, New Jersey
Contest DXpedition Registry ---------> http://www.mordor.com/wb2k