Packet counter-measures

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Thu Jun 13 15:05:15 EDT 1996

>Here are some ideas on eliminating the packet "problem" during WRTC:
>
>(Some are less serious than others).
>
>1. Shut down all the clusters during the event.

Boo! How are we going to know if VK0WH has shown up?  :-)
(I don't rely on PacketCluster for him, I listen; but for those of us not
in the contest it helps to know where the bands are open to.)

>2. Have stations creating many "bogus" spots to make it impossible to
>spot the real stations.

Also not a good idea. N4AA and others will have fits trying to sift thru
all the bogus calls for their DX bulletins!

>3. Use log analysis software to detect distribution of major contest club
>members in different logs to see if there are significant differences
>in some of the logs (what a neat idea).

A better idea!

>4. Require the use of the sprint QSY rule (a personal favorite of mine).

An even better one!

>5. Make random teams up just before the contest. Eliminate having two
>members from the same club/country on the same team.

Also a good idea. I vote for # 3, 4, and 5.

>Tree N6TR
>tree at contesting.com

Zack W9SZ