Lightning Strike

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 11:16:40 EST 1996

>I think you might help a lot of us if you would define a "single point
>ground system".

Hiya, Jim --

   Okay, since you asked.  A single point ground system (SPGS) is a ground
system designed so that all grounded items (ground rods, tower, feedlines,
power, telephone line, etc.) are brought to a common point for connection to
the ground system.  This point is usually a copper bulkhead panel at the
building entry.  This ties everything together to prevent voltage potential
differences in the system.  It is these voltage potential differences that
cause the arcing during a lightning event that we're trying to avoid.  That
way, the lightning surges are kept OUTSIDE the building and bled off
harmlessly into the earth.

    That's the short answer.  Since there are many books on the subject, I
can't begin to cover it here.  I have additional information that I would be
happy to send you if you send me your postal address; it's only available
right now in hard copy.

   I'll say it again -- disconnecting your equipment during a lightning
strike may be more psychological benefit than real prevention.

73 and good luck,   Steve    K7LXC