FW: Contest News Releases - DXpedition

AA6KX at aol.com AA6KX at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 12:42:03 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-03-19 11:42:13 EST, syam at Glue.umd.edu (De Syam) writes:

>It will encourage more people to do DXpeditions for the ARRL DX
>Contests, which will fatten the multiplier total for all of us who stay
>behind to participate from here at home.

Finally!  A voice of reason!  And from the east coast, no less.  To listen to
all the complaining about this long-overdue change is just baffling to us out
here on the left coast.  DX contests are a real bore from here--it's scarcely
worth giving up an otherwise perfectly good weekend.  Consequently the club
competition in DX contests is an absolute non-event for us.  But with this
change the west coast clubs will now have a fighting chance in club
competition.  Fred is absolutely right--this WILL result in more expeditions
and thus more multipliers for all of you stay-at-home types.

The only thing about the ruling that bothers me is why it took so long.  I
thought it was a slam dunk for the 1995 DX contest and had an expedition all
planned to St. Vincent for Feb. in order to celebrate it.  But after the CAC
dragged the decision out and missed the window for having the rule take
effect this year, I cancelled the trip.