25g Disassembly

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Wed Mar 20 08:59:19 EST 1996

There have been lots of good discussions on erecting towers on
the reflector.  Good info and I've been able to save most of it.
Most of what I didn't / couldn't save is on FOX's web site.  But
now, I need advice/ideas on going the other way.
I have located a 100' Rohn 25g that my friend and I want to
take down and move to his place.  We will have other helpers and
have located climbing belts, hard hats and a gin pole.  One of
the helpers has done this before so we have at least some
experience to work with.  I would like to hear whatever
"Hints & Kinks" you might have to offer on tearing down such
a tower.  The tower has three sets of guys and only a very small
UHF/VHF business type antenna on the top section which is of the
tapered type.

Please send your responses to me and I'll summarize if there is
interest.

Thanks,

73   Wayne   KC5DVT  ehayes at vnet.ibm.com

From: Tom Lindtveit <Tom at utd.com> (Tom Lindtveit)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:02:39 -0500
Subject: FW: CAC and DXpeditions

>This is a resend, the first one was clipped off:

Fellow contestors,
 I have been following this thread with great interest for 2 reasons. =
First, I am a member of a competitive local club, and second, it has =
(for the most part) been an intelligent discussion with good points on =
both sides.
 Now my 2 cents:
 Please keep in mind the original post by Richard, K5NA. He did not =
suggest repeal of the rule. He expressed the opinion that this will =
really hurt the small local clubs. He suggested that perhaps we could =
exempt the Local Club Catagory from this new rule. I think Ricahrd is =
right, and that he expressed his point better than I ever could (someday =
OGS).
 No one has suggested eliminating the rule entirely. No one has said =
that DXpeditions are bad for the DX contest. I don't understand all the =
comments about how hard it is to get a DXpedition togehter on a limited =
budget. Thats not the point. I appreciate all those poeple who make =
sacrifices for their clubs and the enhancement of the contest in =
general. Someday, I hope I can do the same. I think we all agree on =
this, 'nuff said.
 Lets stick to the original point. It seems to me that if we keep the =
Local Club Catagory out of it, everyone wins. We will have more =
encouragement for stations to travel to the DX side, and the small clubs =
can still compete and a semi-level field.
 I would also like to request that future posters to this thread include =
the type of club that they belong to. This might help us see who is =
being hurt and who is being helped. Thus far I have only seen one post =
from a "Local Club type" that was in favor of the rule change. If the =
majority of small clubs want the rule change, then I guess we'll have to =
live with it. But if we learn something new here, why not act on it. =
This is a great forum when used properly.
 One final point. It seems to me that some of the folks that have been =
in the larger clubs for a long time don't realize the problems a small =
club faces. It been my experience (13 years in 5 small clubs) that one =
of the major obstacales to being competitive is just getting enough =
entries! These are the little clubs where a new prospect gets the taste =
of contesting and maybe gets hooked. Then he goes of and joins a bigger =
club dedicated to contesting, all the time still supporting their local =
club with general ham type functions.
 Please think about it.
=20
73 de Tom N2GQS