Problems with MFJ 432 Voice Keyer

DBaker1253 at aol.com DBaker1253 at aol.com
Sat Mar 23 21:42:08 EST 1996

Being new to the reflector, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct
place for this posting, but with it being a contest reflector and the problem
concerning a voice keyer, I thought perhaps someone may be able to offer some
help. I purchased a MFJ 432 voice keyer last September after reading a
glowing review of it in a recent issue of QST. I immediately had severe
problems with RFI concerning the unit, even with transmitting into a dummy
load! Apparently I wasn't the only one, as a "Stray" article appeared in QST
regarding the problem. Since the unit was brand new, I elected to send it
back to MFJ for repair, where it stayed approx. 6 months!, until they
replaced it with another unit with a newer, revised PCB. I just got it back
last week & tried it out: the RFI problem appears to be gone, but now there
is a problem with overdriving & mismatched audio levels and getting feedback
somehow when I use the monitor function on my Icom
751A HF transceiver. I've tried using the HEIL Proset I normally use & the
stock Icom HM-36 hand mic, but the problem persists. Using a different power
supply has no effect either. I immediately called MFJ to report this latest
problem & spoke with a technician for some time. He promised to relay the
info to the engineer in charge, who would "write" me regarding the problem.
Needless to say, I'm not too optimistic. What I'm wondering is if anyone out
there has had a similar problem, and if so, how was it corrected? I would
appreciate any info & please reply directly to me if possible to reduce
bandwidth on the Reflector.

                                                        73,

                                                 Daniel Baker/KC4UH
                                                 DBaker1253 at aol.com