25g Tower Disassembly Summary (Long)

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Tue Mar 26 07:39:47 EST 1996

First, thanks to all that responded to my question concerning
hints and ideas on taking down towers.  Personal safety was (and
still is) our biggest concern.  We have looked into leasing/renting
a sign truck and may go that route if we decide to continue to
negotiate with the owner of the 100 footer we located.

Thanks again for the responses,

73   Wayne   KC5DVT  ehayes at vnet.ibm.com

Subject: 25g Disassembly

There have been lots of good discussions on erecting towers on
the reflector.  Good info and I've been able to save most of it.
Most of what I didn't / couldn't save is on FOX's web site.  But
now, I need advice/ideas on going the other way.
I have located a 100' Rohn 25g that my friend and I want to
take down and move to his place.  We will have other helpers and
have located climbing belts, hard hats and a gin pole.  One of
the helpers has done this before so we have at least some
experience to work with.  I would like to hear whatever
"Hints & Kinks" you might have to offer on tearing down such
a tower.  The tower has three sets of guys and only a very small
UHF/VHF business type antenna on the top section which is of the
tapered type.

Please send your responses to me and I'll summarize if there is
interest.

Thanks,

73   Wayne   KC5DVT  ehayes at vnet.ibm.com

Subject: Re:  25g Disassembly

The most important thing I think is to have a safe, convenient method
for prying or jacking the sections apart. Even if they were assembled
with anit-seize at the leg joints, it may take some significant force
to get the sections unstacked. I know of two methods. A local friend of mine
had some steel plates welded up with spacers so they just fit nice into
the end braces. With two such gizzies in place, you then use a small
hydraulic jack to force the sections apart. This worked, but it's a
lot of heavy tools to have up at 100 feet. keep the ground crew clear!

The other option is the Tower Jack, a tool designed for just such a
purpose. It fits onto the sections above and below, and provides
enough leverage to split the sections. I've never used one, but
it looks like it would work.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher at hp-and2.an.hp.com

Outside of the obvious on crimped legs defying removal, the number
one requirement is TEMPORARY GUYs. You don't know what the footing
or guys are about, so get lots of rope and guy the heck out of it
as you bring it down. Stay healthy - not enough of us left!
73  --Del, KL7HF--

Hi Wayne,

A jack from a Dodge Omni is a good thing to have. 25 G sections have a great
tendency to stick together, and it's likely you will have to break them
apart. Place the jack near the leg before jacking, and use it at six places
at each section.

BE SURE not to be on the tower when the last set of guys is removed. These
things sometimes rust from the inside out, and I've seen one with no
exterior rust fall over when the last set was removed.

73
Bill K5FUV
 ----------

First, check the BASE to make sure it is adaquete to support the tower
and people on it.

Safety in taking DOWN towers is always more dicey than putting them up as
you ususally know who poured the base.

As to H&K's a small jack and couple of pieces of 2 x 4 come in handy for
those sections that get stuck. We use a small jack quite a bit.

Usually commercial type towers are easy enuf to come apart if they aren't
rusted too badly. If they are then WD40....

Good luck and I can't stress the safety issue too highly on "old" unknown
towers. There are several in this town that have been condemned by our
take-down committee. We actually had one local killed not long ago from a
base estimated to be 3-4 bags of pre-mix.

The worst are towers which have lengths of sections longer than the gin
pole they aren't easy.

--
Jay

Hi Wayne...

Get in touch with Ken Kopp, K0PP. He has to be one of the
gurus of tower recycling. He says that he has taken down
many towers of all types, and has a really well constructed
antenna farm up in Montana.

Try Ken at:

k0pp at mcimail.com

Good luck.

Alan, K6XO

alan at es.com

See you in the Utah Centennial QSO Party, August 24/25, 1996

Wayne,

Please send me any results you get to your request.  I'll be dismantling my
100' 25G tower this summer, and I would appreciated any tips you could pass
along.

I did purchase the "Tower Jack" to use when I start.  I haven't tried it yet,
but it looks like it should be of great assistance in separating sections.

73 and good luck  James/kd1ng
setzler at c813.npt.nuwc.navy.mil

From: "Dr. Eugene Zimmerman" <ezimmerm at DGS.dgsys.com>

Wayne

You said gin pole but did not say what kind.  If it is the Rohn gin pole
designed for dealing with #25 it would be easier.

How hard it is will depend on whether the original erector used something
kind of conducting lubricant like Penetrox A or NoAlox on the legs.  If
so they will pop out when you lift on the gin pole like the day the tower
was erected.

If not the legs could sieze and give you plenty of grief.  I have seen
others use both car jacks and even large jacks (like house and deck
jacks).  That should be a 2 person job on the tower to be safe with the
ground man wearing a hard hat and looking up.  If one of those falls on
you, you're toast!!  In any case you need mechanical advantage if the
legs are corroded.

An alternative if you know the right people is to use a crane to drop the
whole tower in one piece :-)  But don't pay for this if you can't get it
free (or for a few beers - after the tower is down).  The gin pole should
work just fine.

You should also send mail directly to Steve, K7LXC, who has helped lots of
others on the reflector with tower questions.  He is a professional tower
installer and I find his advice to be quite useful and accurate.

k7lxc at aol.com

Good luck es 73

Gene  W3ZZ

From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson at mindspring.com>
Subject: Taking down 25G

One of the things you will need is a "tower jack" to easily remove stuck
sections.  The best one is made by WB0W, Inc.  Gaylen can be reached at
816-364-2691 or 2692.  Haven't tried his E-mail lately but try
bbdr21a at prodigy.com.  He also makes a great ginpole.

Tell him Dave Thompson, K4JRB, editor of the 1996 Amateur Radio Mail Order
Catalog and Resource Directory said to call him.  He goes to Dayton too.

73, Dave K4JRB