tower collapse

BSmith6176 at aol.com BSmith6176 at aol.com
Thu May 9 22:54:08 EDT 1996

I saw one that fall more than 30% from the base once!  It was a commercial TV
tower (abt 1000 footer) in Wilmington NC, and it fell when low flying a
military jet clipped a guy wire.  It clipped the wing tank off of the end of
the wing and the tower laid down like a big pine tree.  That was in the late
1970's I think.  The plane did not crash, but returned to MD where it was
based.  But he was identified by the incriminating wing tank he left at the
scene!  In another collapse in Raleigh NC due to ice in the late 1980's, the
2000 foot WRAL TV tower fell all within 200 feet of its base!  Tower was
heavily iced, and when the sun hit one side of it, the ice melted on that
side but not on the other side.  Uneven stress on tower and guys brought it
all down like spaghetti.  Parts still lie there!