Multi-op/Single-band is Legal in WPX

Richard Norton ae327 at lafn.org
Fri May 24 13:06:39 EDT 1996

An inquiring mind recently wrote:

>maybe this is the most stupid question in the world, but how can I know
>that before someone tells me?

>Why is there no multi-op/single band section in WPX? You can do single band
>as single-op or all band as multi-op. How about something in between for
>little teams?

>I would have liked to participate in the contest with a friend of mine
>but we both didn't want to spend the whole weekend in an all band effort.
>Our idea was to take part on one of the upper bands during the day and do
>other nice things during the night (yes, there are. Try to remember the time
>before you started contesting :)).

>I think the contests are loosing quite a lot of activity by little teams if
>they don't allow single band operation for them. My friend and me will not
>take part in WPX now. That's no loss at all for WPX, but a big loss for my
>friend and me.

Good News

Multi-operator/single-band operation is permitted in the WPX Contest.
The scores can even be reported as being part of either the MM or MS
category.

A nice feature of the contest is that you are allowed to spend as little time
in it as you want. It is perfectly legal to do other nice things at night,
even those you might have done before taking up contesting. I have personally
operated much less than full time in the WPX Contest, and can attest that my
score has not been disqualified.

The contest has another nice feature in that recognition is usually given, in
print, to those who achieve the higher scores. The higher scores are usually
achieved by a combination of 1) effort and skill setting up stations, 2)
effort expended during the contest, and 3) operating skill. The contest can
give you incentive to improve both your station and skills.

If you operate during self-limited hours, or on self-limited frequencies, you
should certainly receive great enjoyment from that effort. However,
participation in the contest is generally large enough that others are likely
to achieve higher scores, and therefore, are likely to receive more
recognition in the write-up than you will. They are also likely to receive
more recognition from their contesting peers.

Recognition from effort in radio contests is very similar to recognition from
effort in other nice things in life, such as school or work. It is possible
to treat any of them casually, and live a fun-filled life. You are also
likely to find others will achieve more and receive more recognition than
you.

I hope I am not too late to encourage your participation in the WPX contest,
even as multi-operator/single-band. I will also encourage you to get really
sporty, even with a little team, and experiment with your band-switch. Band-
selection decision-making opens up another area to demonstrate mastery of the
radio communication art. It should enable you to both increase your score and
operating-enjoyment, as well as build up your contesting skills. Some day you
may be able to successfully compete and earn significant recognition for your
efforts, if by any chance, recognition is one of your goals.

73,

Dick Norton, N6AA    ae327 at LAFN.ORG