ARRL Letter excerpts: 5/31/96

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Fri May 31 00:47:09 EDT 1996

As usual, the full text can be found -->  www.arrl.org

The ARRL Letter
Electronic Update
May 31, 1996
__________________________________

IN THIS UPDATE . . ..

* Write now! Two meters and 70 cm threatened!
* Kenwood's new distribution channels
* Minnesota tower challenge
* QUEST 43 yields old Bird 43s
* Sunspot minimum still ahead
* Young researchers beat NASA to punch
* In Brief: New senator's ham radio connection;
   Younger licensees up; KA4MHJ honored;
   Drake is on-line; All-plastic battery under
   development; Arecibo dish to be upgraded.
__________________________________

AMATEURS MOBILIZE AGAINST THREAT TO 2 METERS, 70 CM

(most of the details were in a message sent to the contest forum yesterday)

KENWOOD ANNOUNCES NEW DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS

Longing for a new Kenwood TS-870S or maybe a TM-733? Soon, you might find
them in your local CB shop or truck stop. Citing concerns about the future
of Amateur Radio and a changing business climate, Kenwood Communications
Corp announced to its dealers on May 21 it's taking "some bold steps" to
turn things around. Kenwood has appointed three new companies (as yet
unnamed) to wholesale Kenwood Amateur Radio products "to CB radio stores,
truck stops, 2-way radio stores, and electronic re-sellers," according to a
letter to its dealer network.

Kenwood says it believes its new distribution strategy will benefit the
hobby by increasing the visibility of its Amateur Radio line through small
dealers to help draw newcomers into the hobby.

The company also says it plans to offer a new pamphlet or "primer" about
Amateur Radio to introduce people to the hobby. The primer will be free. In
addition, Kenwood will start selling Amateur Radio study guides and has
urged its authorized dealer network to help distribute the new materials. In
conjunction with its Kenwood Report--distributed to ham radio clubs--the
company also plans to offer "incentives for local clubs to gain new members
using the Kenwood Amateur Radio primer and licensing materials." In a May 28
letter to authorized dealers, Kenwood described the moves as "our first
stage of activities to promote Amateur Radio."

Kenwood says the extra step in the new distribution chain will guarantee
that existing authorized dealers always have a price advantage over the
smaller resellers. The company also denied rumors that it plans to exit the
Amateur Radio market.

MINNESOTA TOWER CHALLENGE DECIDED IN HAM'S FAVOR

[*** Hey!  We know this guy - contester makes good!]

A Minnesota ham, Steven Fraasch, K0SF, of Corcoran, Minnesota, so far has
successfully fended off attempts by a local golf course to keep him from
maintaining a tower at his home. Last Summer, Fraasch got approval and a
building permit from city officials to erect a 130-foot tower. But Rush
Creek Golf Club which owns a golf course that adjoins the Goose Lake
development where Fraasch lives went to court to block the tower project,
citing environmental and aesthetic grounds and claiming the risk of
irreparable damage. Fraasch lives on a 19-acre tract that includes wetlands.

Rush Creek named both Fraasch and the City of Corcoran as defendants.
However, the Fourth Judicial District Court denied a temporary restraining
order, and Fraasch built the tower as planned.

Earlier this year, Judge Robert Lynn ruled that Rush Creek had failed to
establish its case. The court determined, among other things, that the tower
does not pollute or impair the wetlands and would pose no threat to
waterfowl and especially to trumpeter swans, and that the tower, while
visible from surrounding points, "does not appreciably impair any scenic or
aesthetic resources associated with the Goose Lake wetlands." The court also
found that the tower "has far less visual impact on plaintiff's property
than the adjacent farmyard filled with rusty old construction equipment as
well as a nearby mobile home park."

ARRL Volunteer Counsel Jay Bellows, K0QBE, who represents Fraasch, says Rush
Creek's motion for amended findings or a new trial was denied, but he
expects an appeal. Stay tuned!

DOING THE BIRD

Justin Dennis, KA0HKV, of Atkins, Iowa, was the grand prize winner of QUEST
43, Bird Electronic Corporation's year-long competition to locate the oldest
working Model 43 Thruline Wattmeter. Bird says Dennis's Model 43 (serial no
71), made in 1952, still delivers accurate RF-power measurements 44 years
later. Dennis said he bought the unit from a friend for $15. It earned him a
24-carat-gold-plated Model 43, a $1000 gift certificate and a brand new
Model 43. (stuff cut)

SUNSPOT MINIMUM STILL AHEAD

(a note was circulated to the contest reflector on this last week)

__________________________________

In Brief . . .

[Hey again, K0BJ is an occasional contester]

* There's a ham radio connection in the recent announcement that Kansas Gov
Bill Graves has named Lt Gov Sheila Frahm to succeed Bob Dole in the US
Senate. Sheila Frahm is a sister-in-law of ARRL Midwest Vice Director Bob
Frahm, K0BJ. Sheila Frahm, a 51-year-old Republican, will serve in the
Senate at least until November, when Kansas voters will choose a candidate
to fill the last two years of Dole's term.

* According to FCC statistics, as of the end of April, the number of
licensees who are age 21 or younger totaled 30,827. That's almost 500 more
than at the end of March.

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444

>From seay at alaska.net (Del & Jan Seay)  Fri May 31 00:00:07 1996
> KENWOOD ANNOUNCES NEW DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
>
> Longing for a new Kenwood TS-870S or maybe a TM-733? Soon, you might find
> them in your local CB shop or truck stop. Citing concerns about the future
> of Amateur Radio and a changing business climate, Kenwood Communications
> Corp announced to its dealers on May 21 it's taking "some bold steps" to
> turn things around. Kenwood has appointed three new companies (as yet
> unnamed) to wholesale Kenwood Amateur Radio products "to CB radio stores,
> truck stops, 2-way radio stores, and electronic re-sellers," according to a
> letter to its dealer network.

Another good reason to buy Kenwood - so you can have a rig just like
those good buddies!!!!!
de KL7HF