CW Interface

Cedrick Johnson- N9YXA n9yxa at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 8 23:28:35 EST 1996

Does anyone know how to wire a Serial port CW interface for N6TR
log program? (I need the pinouts)
73 es vy gud DX
de N9YXA-Cedrick
http://pages.prodigy.com/n9yxa

From: seay at Alaska.NET (Jan & Del Seay) (Jan & Del Seay)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 05:52:20 -0800
Subject: oh-oh an OO!

Randy Thompson wrote:

> I got two -- both from the same guy and for similar reasons.  He claimed I made a QSO at 3752.2 and 7152.0 on LSB.  I recall both contacts and was aware of how close I was to the edge.  However, I have it in my mind that we just need to stay approx 1.5 kHz up from the edge on LSB.  Is this incorrect?
>
> Randy, K5ZD

Yeah - that is wrong. Assuming you have a 1.8 kHz ssb filter and
assuming that it had a "brick-wall" response and assuming that
your equipment is totally clean, you are still out of the band!
You cannot have any - repeat - ANY energy outside of the band segment.
And, as you can see, audio responce of 1.8 kHz means you would have
energy at least 1.8 kHz from your suppressed carrier frequency.
And reality dictates it will be a lot more than 1.8 kHz.
de KL7HF

>From kl7y at Alaska.NET (Dan Robbins)  Sat Nov  9 08:22:13 1996
>> I got two -- both from the same guy and for similar reasons.  He claimed
I made a QSO at 3752.2 and 7152.0 on LSB.  I recall both contacts and was
aware of how close I was to the edge.  However, I have it in my mind that we
just need to stay approx 1.5 kHz up from the edge on LSB.  Is this incorrect?

>> Randy, K5ZD
>
>Yeah - that is wrong. Assuming you have a 1.8 kHz ssb filter and
>assuming that it had a "brick-wall" response and assuming that
>your equipment is totally clean, you are still out of the band!
>You cannot have any - repeat - ANY energy outside of the band segment.
>And, as you can see, audio responce of 1.8 kHz means you would have
>energy at least 1.8 kHz from your suppressed carrier frequency.
>And reality dictates it will be a lot more than 1.8 kHz.
>de KL7HF

Actually, the 1.8kHz is for an audio bandpass of 300-2100 Hz, so even with
the brick wall filter he'd be out of the band on 7152.0 (signal would be
transmitted from 7151.7 - 7149.9 kHz).  Like Del says, in reality filters
aren't brick walls, so you'd be out on both 3752.2 and 7152.0.  3 KHZ from
the band edge is probably OK for an 1.8K or 2.1K filter, but if you're using
an old 2.7K Kenwood filter you'd better stay 4 kHz from the band edge.

                        Dan KL7Y

                        Dan KL7Y

From: n4bp at shadow.net (Bob Patten) (Bob Patten)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 05:00:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Who to Answer First

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Doug Grant wrote:

> Certain countries' operators have very distinctive operating styles. No matter
> who you answer, they will call you anyway. I always try to find the lid and
> answer him first. It saves time telling him to QRX while you work the guy you
> really wanted.
In other words, you encourage his operating style...

Bob Patten, N4BP

From: sevar at mbox.vol.it (Severino Dal Grande) (Severino Dal Grande)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 14:41:26 +0100
Subject: Thanks for e-mail wf5e

Thanks all for e-mail wf5e,
W9ZRX, AA5BT, NT5C, K9PG, WF5E, N5MTS, K5TH, IK1OWE, ..........
73, Severino.
--
************************
* Dal Grande Severino  *

From: n4af at pagesz.net (n4af) (n4af)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 08:44:13 -0500 (EST)
Subject: North Carolina PVRC Meeting

All contesters are invited to the November PVRC/NC meeting.

The meeting will be held on November 13 at N4AF's Apex QTH at 19:30.

We will be conducting post mortem's on CQWW SSB & SS CW and
planning for the upcoming SS SSB and CQWW CW.

To prime everyone for the coming contests, two videos will be
shown:
     The first is one of W3LPL in the 95 CWWW phone choreographed
     to rock music.
     The second video is of the million dollar station K2GL
     that dominated Tuxedo Park, NY. Neat shots of a 750# rotator for
     four ele 80M yagi being hoisted up a 195' tower, a 76' long
     90' wide yagi, or the twelve thousand dollar antenna that lasted
     for five weeks.

Closer to home, K4MA will describe m/m station N4ZC outside of
Charlotte.

Hope to see everybody then,

Howie

A.R.S. N4AF Apex, NC
Visit the PVRC/NC WEB at http://www.pagesz.net/~pvrc

Directions to N4AF:

>From Raleigh, take Rt64 (toward Jordan Lake). At the intersection
with Rt55 make a right turn. Approximately one mile up Rt55 make
a left turn onto Jenks Rd at the top of the hill.
The second right turn off of Jenks road is Roberts Road.
The fourth house on the left, in the woods (you should see the lights),
will be N4AF.

From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith) (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 05:48:54 -0800
Subject: Headphone frequency response

For this CW SS I decided to buy a new pair of over the ear phones to replace
my trusty BM-10, to reduce in-shack QRM from the new amp, etc.   Got a pair
of Radio Shack PRO-40s which are light and very comfortable for me, but ...

They have 'way too much high frequency response, making me even more ga-ga
than usual at the end of the contest.  Can anyone with technical knowledge
tell me if there's a simple way to roll off the frequency response above
2.5kHz or so?  I don't really want to build a low-pass filter, just take the
"edge" off a bit!

Thanks!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr at contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia

From: kn6dv at QNET.COM (Will, KN6DV) (Will, KN6DV)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 14:30:06 -0000
Subject: SCCC (members) Badges

Hello SCCC (Southern California Contest Club) members, please send me a
msg. If you need a new badge(due to the call change).
I will make the order by the end of next week and the cost will be $ 6.50
or less.
Thanks 73 Will,  KN6DV
Vice President SCCC

kn6dv at contesting.com

http://www.av.qnet.com/~kn6dv

REFORM
Unless the reformer can invent something which substitutes attractive
virtues vices, he will fail.
(Walter Lippmann)