Subj:Re: Are QRP skills transferrable?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Nov 19 10:52:56 EST 1996

>After a rough SS SSB this weekend  (QRP and wires...Masochism Incarnate),
>I've more or less decided that I'm not gonna do SSB QRP anymore (I am a
>Cubs fan, though...my battle cry is 'wait till next year!') - KX9X

Hi, Sean --

     M.I. yes.  I thought about it (QRP) but not enough masochism in me to
really do.  I am hoping to do it when conditions get better (yes, I mean
10M).

>Not wanting to open a huge can of worms, is it fair to say that the skills
>developed by the best QRPérs are radically different than the KW folks, or
>is it just pileup skills to the n'th degree? With a setup like I had this
>past weekend, finding a run freq would be a difficult task (though not
>impossible). S & P would be the main way to get Q's. SInce everybody has
>to go S& Píng at SOME point, I was just curious if folks thought there was
>a difference in the approach to S & P.

     Basic rules of SS:

    Class Q stations S&P  98% of the time
    Class B stations run 98% of the time
    Class A stations do both

     Transferable skills?  Not in my opinion.  You've got to have a lot of
bravado to wade in on a frequency, call CQ regardless and pull stations out
of the QRM for hours on end. Why should they S&P?  They don't have to.

    A different skill set - high speed S&P - is the QRP'ers bread and butter.
 IMO if QRP operators pretended they had more bravado, they might try running
or calling CQ once in awhile.  You're gonna be readable somewhere.

     Class Q ops are used to rejection, Class B ops aren't.   I think the
list goes on and on.  It might be a good excercise for everyone to try Q
once.  The lessons might be very interesting.  Hey, anyone can run 1.5KW and
sit on one frequency for hours, right?  Anyone going to pick up the guantlet?

73,  Steve  K7LXC