December QST arrives

HENRYPOL at aol.com HENRYPOL at aol.com
Wed Nov 27 22:52:26 EST 1996

Stopped by the PO box while out running pre-Thanksgiving errands with the
family this morning and found the latest issue of QST and the Radio Shack
holiday sales catalog (more later - below).

Nice front cover photo of an Eimac 3-400 mixed in with some Christmas tree
ornaments.

Contest related items:  Results - 96 ARRL June VHF QSO Party and 96 ARRL
August UHF Contest; and Product Review - Timewave DSP-599zx.

Other interesting items:  Up Front in QST has an interesting idea from WA4SDV
 on how to increase your code speed; A New "Band" for your Radio (Internet
Phone); Hams Span the Atlantic on Shortwave! (75 years ago); and Product
Review - 4 multiband FM rigs (Alinco DR605T, Icom IC2710H, Standard C5900DA,
& Yaesu FT8000R); and lots more....

Ads:  Icom's ad has the new IC-756 mixed in with their other rigs; Zeit
Radio-Controlled Clock that sets itself to WWV; ARRL Handbook now on CD; 2
New books from ARRL - Antenna Compendium Vol. 5 and Vertical Antenna
Classics; New half-page ad from Force 12 with short blurb about ZR-3
(tri-band vertical only 5 ft. 4 in.!); Back issues of QST now on CD, only
1985-89 or 1990-94 for now with others to follow in 97 (does this mean that
maybe we will finally get a CD with ALL back issues of NCJ and QEX ?).

And now for a holiday gift idea (compliments of Radio Shack).  Ever wonder
what happens on your run frequency when you have to make those inevitable pit
stops for relief (of too much Dr. Pepper, etc.) and refreshment.  Well RS has
just what you need, wireless headphones (#33-1145) that operate on 900 mHz
with 150 ft range (you can possibly even climb the tower for repair work and
still listen-in).  Hey, these might even work great as your main headphones,
thus freeing your operating position from extra wires that sometimes get in
the way.  Now if someone (how about it, Heil?) can come up with a wireless
boom mic that would attach to these - you would not have to miss those extra
QSOs when away from the rig temporarily, plus it would free you from the
operating chair, even let you walk around in the shack.  (Yeh, I know you
still have to log them!....You mean there is NO voice recognition logging
software yet!  Oh well, maybe I've been watching too much Star Trek)  Noted
also, that RS has another stereo headset/boom mic combo (#33-1098) that is on
sale for $29.99.  These look less rugged than the PRO-50MXs that sell for
$59.99.  I have not been to my local RS outlet to check these out, so don't
know if Heil's HC4 will fit.

73 and good reading,

Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
henrypol at aol.com

P.S.  I have no connections with Radio Shack or the Tandy Corp.